Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you New to the hobby of Collecting Arrowheads, Points, Artifacts? Do you want some helpful Tips? Before you buy-Read this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you New to the hobby of Collecting Arrowheads, Points, Artifacts? Do you want some helpful Tips? Before you buy-Read this!

Are you New to the hobby of Collecting Arrowheads, Points, Artifacts? Do you want some helpful Tips?

I am very fortunate to have been able to hunt and find some wonderful Arrowheads / Points in my life time. Over the last couple years, I have been buying some here and there because I am no longer able to hunt. It’s a wonderful hobby that is being ruined a little more every day. Since I joined this board I have seen so many posts that are “look at what I bought from Ebay, Auctions, Pawn shops & Antique Stores.” People educate yourselves before throwing away your hard-earned money. I have seen so many examples of retired people & new collectors spending Thousands of Dollars on Fakes and Worthless points. It Sickens me!
    Please Feel free to Add or Comment on this post. If it helps one person save a buck or two, maybe it was worth the time to write. The thing I always Loved about Arrowheads is that they are an Actual Artifact you can own that is Thousands of years old. Not to many things you can own like that.

Helpful hints when buying Arrowheads or Points from Ebay , Shows etc. I am by no means an expert but please Keep these thoughts in mind. So if you are new to collecting arrowheads or points ask yourself this when looking at buying. #1 has this Point been in the ground or creek or wherever for Thousands of years? Yes Thousands! #2 If you don’t know what Hinge fractures are or how they should or shouldn’t look, Google it! , The same goes for Mineral Deposits. #3 Clovis and Cumberland Points are rare, If you think you found this Amazing Cumberland or Clovis Point that Belongs in a museum on Ebay for 500 +- ? Guess again, You just Bought a pretty Rock. #4 Coa’s “Certificate of Authenticity’s” This one Burns me more and More every day. There are actually people who Create or Validate Points with Coa’s that are 100% Fake by the Thousands. #5 If the Artifact Looks to good to be True, It probably is. Honestly it is very Sad into today's world that you would need to certify if something is real or fake such as an Arrowhead. In my opinion I have a few People that certify points that I trust, Such as- Bennett (he has killed more of my points than certified-not a bad thing in my opinion) Ben Stermer, Jerry Dickey, Dwain Rogers, Tom Davis. There may be others but Please do your research on the Authenticator before you buy. You may be surprised what you find!

The next generation of Hunters or collectors- One thing I started doing over the last year is going through my boxes upon boxes of points. I sorted out points that were a little it above field grade quality and wrote a brief description along with a ball park age and location. I started giving some to the younger kids of my coworkers and kids of my friends (Girls and Boys. 7-10 years old or so. I was surprised at the reaction I got from just about all the kids I gave points to. They were Thrilled I got some of the nicest notes you could imagine. Sharing with their Cub scouts and taking them to school to show their class etc.

In a nut shell it’s a great Hobby, that has brought me countless hours of enjoyment. Newbies Please don’t support these Dealers or Auctions without doing your research. Buy a Book, Buy a Microscope, Buy a 10x Loop! But please dont buy the Fake Points with Fake Coa's and spend Hundreds of Dollars.

Ok I am done Rambling now!

Well, I usually have to buy gasoline to go get my artifacts...
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• willjo
      willjo commented
      Editing a comment
      I buy the gas and sometimes don't get the artifact but the time spent looking was wonderful

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      I 🥰 Rock Repartee!!

• c_venture
      c_venture commented
      Editing a comment
      You are a Hoot! I agree the best times I had were hunting with my Daughter.

Good Advice. Hope folks take heed!

Comment

I can't emphasize enough, if you see a Clovis or something like that with a starting bid of 50 clams, IT'S NOT REAL. Real artifacts of that type would be much much much more expensive. And another thing, don't think you are getting a deal off of an ignorant seller, he knows what he's doing.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Well said sir. I invite children to my place all the time and it may be walked to death but I’ll make sure that they find a few points 😊

Comment

Dang shame. Go to ebay and it almost becomes a joke. I've hunted 50+ yrs and 15 of that serious hunting (2 or 3 trips a week to 3 states). I have hunted with Warren Holland who being at least 10 yrs. older put me to shame with his walking and yet he nor I have never found a clovis, yet right now there 155 clovis poleo points for sale on ebay some of them pappered most by, well we know who. The real shame of it is they are being sold.

I don't think there is a thing that can be done about it with all the new collectors entering the hobby un-educated. O for the good old days when all fakes were grey ghosts.
          SE IA

Comment

I visited another arrowhead site this week and in a long post of people sharing their artifacts there was a guy showing his collection of purchases he had. So many of them were reproductive pieces and nobody was saying a word. I didn’t either cause he thought they were real. I didn’t want to rock the boat so just kept quiet. No telling how much $ he had spent on them.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

• oldrocks2
              oldrocks2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Sad. No comment was the way to go. What site was this, I think I might of seen them somewhere.

• c_venture
              c_venture commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree, It would be hard to bust somebody bubble, if they think they really have a nice collection. Think about the thousand upon thousand of Dollars that are being spent every day on all this fake stuff! I would love to post the names of all the fake Dealers, but I understand it would Rock the boat.
          Working...
          X