Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the tell tail signs of a ground base?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the tell tail signs of a ground base?

It is probably a silly question but sometimes I get confused on some pieces. For example I can tell a ground base when it is heavily ground and then sometimes I think a base might be but can't really tell, if that makes any since or not! Hoping you guys can give me a few tips on what to look for.
    keep on keepin after

If you dont have one already I can recommend getting your hands on a 8X Lupe jewelers lens. It will show minute detail that the best eyes won't.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

The signs of a ground base are a nice smooth, rounded over edge at the base of the point but can sometimes extend up into the notches and even onto the lower part of the blade depending on the point type. You can usually see the grinding without using magnification and can feel it with your finger tip.

Comment

Although you can see it with a scope.... You don't look for a ground base. You FEEL it. Rub your finger over it in different directions and just like testing a knife edge. Once you feel it you will totally understand and never question ground or not...and can show and tell anyone else.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

I understand now. Thanks!
          keep on keepin after

Comment

This previous thread may help:

Howdy folks I'm just learning about arrowhead identification and keep coming across the terms "ground base" and "ground stem" yet I don't know what it means. Could y'all clue me in about what it looks like, and why it is done. Links or attached pictures would be appreciated. Thanks, Sleestak

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I agree with the feel test. Also, look at it with a loop afterward....
              Lubbock County Tx

Comment

You know I am going to my cases right now .
                After reading the link about it not cutting the sinew
                do you think a snapped base would be for that reason ?
                its a valid high jack question .

Comment

Working...
                X