This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site revealment

Would like to get y'all's opinion on letting people know on forums not a particular spot but just a County a point is found in as I mentioned the County in a bunch of my posts. Worst thing I could possibly see is new footprints. Don't be nice about it breathe fire if you want to just shoot me straight. Because we all know our spots are sacred to us

There are a couple of counties that are wholly contained within reservation land where I imagine collecting is no-no. There might be a couple that are completely inside a park or some federal land where you cannot collect. And there are a couple of small counties on US territories in the pacific that are basically a couple of acres in size. Outside of those types of rare scenarios, I can't really see the harm in posting a county name as most would be too big to be specific to a site.

In Situ pictures taken with your iPhone can be much worse if they contain geotag data. Or posting pictures of locally recognizable features could give away your site location. (A highway in the background, a particular feature about a river, a bridge over a river, etc.)
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I never find it relevant to know a county and never speak of one myself. I’m sure that most times, someone couldn’t find your spot with the mention of a county, so it’s probably not a big risk.
      South Dakota

Comment

If you take someone to your sites, you can expect footprints. That is the bottom line !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Yeah that goes without saying. I take my close friends who have young kids to introduce young kids in the arrowhead hunting instead of playing video games all day and I tell them they can come anytime they want to. I've been hunting my main spots 9 years. And when I take them out to take them to places where moster known buy many anyway, that has a lot of broken pieces in Flint flakes to get them excited about coming back again now just places I've never spoke out loud before and never will. But I truly believe got to get the kids out the house and their head up from their phones and your fingers off the game controller and get out and look for some nature and some history and just take in all God's splendor

Comment

The best way to get footprints on your site is to take in-situs while having the location services on your phone and allowing access to you camera. There’s websites that can strip the data and even gps coordinates so be especially careful there. Probably lots of people that are on here looking for just that kind of information

Comment

Well I hope I got mine off I'll try to check. I can barely work around this site as I am computer illiterate. But for those who do fine where I'm at I have permission and those who don't might arrived they're on their feet but they'll be crawling back to their car because these boys up there where I hunt they're all Bushwackers and trigger happy... good people though...

Comment

Man I wish you would've told me that. well I'm glad you did and I really do appreciate that you did but I might have to stop posting on these forums now since technology has far surpassed my comprehension

Comment

I've decided to leave this site and delete my account if my account or any of its entirety Still Remains a task for moderator to distinguish of it. And maybe moderator should also moderate the users that are here online to do what Sergeant digger was talking about. I enjoyed my time here and I appreciate everybody's input

Comment

• SDhunter
                    SDhunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think you might be getting a little over paranoid. I don’t know, your area, but as long as you don’t just share locations, I doubt you will have any trouble.

Last edited by Shepherd; 02-19-2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

No one can access your phone it’s just the data that your pictures contain you can check yourself here https://www.guidingtech.com/find-location-from-photo/

Comment

I checked a couple of pics you’ve posted there’s no GPS data so your good. Just irrelevant info

Comment

Big brother is watching and has been for many years so I always deny access to most of my phone. Not that I have anything to hide I just like my privacy, what little is left after Bush Jr. crammed a 10,000 page patriot act down every Americans throat

Comment

Hope you haven't decided to leave here because of your fears. I post insitus often but I turned off location and tagging in my phone. If you look at the bottom of my post it tells you what counties I primarily hunt in. Even with that available you would have to cover a lotttttttttttttttt of ground or follow me around to figure out where my sites are.
                          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Don't talk to me about fear boy. I've experienced more fear then you would in three lifetimes. I'm going to leave this form because I'm a straight-up old-school kind of guy if we got nerds up here hacking on my stuff and no moderator is taking it upon themselves to track that sort of thing then like I said didn't sign up for that. Don't get me wrong I love this site I think everybody does their best to help everybody and it's fun to share your finds with people. In my humble opinion, I believe y'all should up y'all's cyber security because people have other things on their phones besides pictures of arrowheads like confidential documents non-disclosure agreements confidentiality agreements just shooting at the hip here but that's what kind of stuff people have on their phone

Comment

• clovisoid
                              clovisoid commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Google, email in general, having a smart phone, Chinese made servers, state governments running on vintage equipment from the late 90's, etc.

Not trying to be alarmist, but if you are going going fear tech, this site is NOT the weak link in your digital footprint.
                          Working...
                          X