Opinions on this piece please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on this piece please?

I found this on a site in Colorado, Park County. Any thoughts about what it is or material used, etc? Open to all comments...I might add that it has a tan color swirled in the black but it's really hard to photograph.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mtnsolitude; 03-09-2020, 04:05 PM.

Looks like obsidian and Id call it a graver, but Im no expert. It s worked pretty interestingly

Comment

• mtnsolitude
      mtnsolitude commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you

I'm no expert on obsidian but it looks like it to me. Also, appears to be green obsidian, not sure if it's the same type that was coveted by the South American people. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will hop on here and give you more info.
    Central Ohio

Comment

It’s obsidian and some type of tool but that is a guess could be another artifacts other then scrapper / graver

Comment

Pretty stuff looks like a blade or scraper
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Wondering if this material is common to my area?

Comment

It most likely came from a quarry In Yellowstone National Park. I believe that’s the closest source to you.
            South Dakota

Comment

• mtnsolitude
              mtnsolitude commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you

Sweet find, surprised you haven't found more Obsidian yet since you are relatively close to the source.
            For typing get yourself an Overstreet book for arrowhead id.
            This site isn't 100% reliable but it comes in handy for quick reference:
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• mtnsolitude
              mtnsolitude commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for the resource

I find a lot of obsidian pieces (maybe 20% of all points) although never any that big. That's a honker. Looks like it could be a preform blank, or possibly a blade. A picture of the edge would be good to show the shape that way. I have found several thick ovoid pieces of basalt and chert a little further south that I think have to be some kind of preform, but who knows?

Could it be possible that the green in the pieces is something from the phone light shining through? I've never seen them that deep of a translucent green in natural light, however I know less than a lot of people on this sight. Nice piece, overall, and sounds like that "spot" is really producing.

Comment

This material is very difficult to photograph. It looks black with some tan coloring running thru it. I noticed the green coloration in the sun when I was up in the mountains still so it isn't from the phone's light itself. I tried to get pics of the edges but again it's hard to photograph. Appreciate your input as always.
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice artifact
                SW Connecticut

Comment

Definitely obsidian! I've found a few pieces in Park County as well. Very rare here. Probably trade material from further south...perhaps New Mexico or far Southern Colorado.
                  Last edited by lovetahunt; 03-14-2020, 12:10 PM.
                  Old Colorado Cowboy

Comment

• mtnsolitude
                    mtnsolitude commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Someone else had said maybe New Mexico and some say perhaps Wyoming. It fits the description of Mahogany obsidian because of the tan color running through the black but it's also green when held up to the light. I love the piece!

Might be from closer to home...apparently there is a source in Nathrop.

Comment

• mtnsolitude
                    mtnsolitude commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for the resource
                Working...
                X