Paleo End Scraper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo End Scraper?

I found these two fairly close to each other. Both appear to have spurs. One is very small. Just wondering if anyone has insight?
    thanks
    South Central Minnesota

Second photo looks like a broke paddle drill base, would have to see broke end to be sure.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

From what I've read and found paleo endscrapers do have spurs and are quite often unifaced with a curved and steeply bevelled business end. There are some cool posts that have them like I love tools from a few months back! The two you have here are artifacts! Maybe utilized. You're on a site though with flakes and debitage points usually follow.
      North Carolina

Comment

I think it just looks like a graver. The "spur" was not created by man. Incidental/accidental. It could be a waste flake (an artifact..) from knapping...
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

agree with Tom
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I am curious what distinguishes a graver from a spurred scraper?

I also want to say that the one on the left is ooltic prairie du chien chert, the one on the right appears to be some type of quartz. The one on the right was found on a washout area after a large builder ( recently placed) slid down the wash out. Based on the terrain it fell out of, it was pretty deep in the dirt just above glacial till (last glacier in that area was 12000-14000 years ago). Not saying it is that old, but I thought it was interesting as it appeared to have dropped down from the dirt into the undercut glacial till area. The one on the right looks much more worn. The one on the left is not very worn.

I also found a piece of pottery nearby that an archeologist told me was native American.

I know the area is said to have activity from paleo through post European contact
            South Central Minnesota

Comment

Working...
            X