Stone tool from Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone tool from Ohio

Would like some feedback on this, is it an axe?
    Only info on this is that it's from OHIO.

By definition, yes it's an axe, but it seems to be in suspiciously fine condition if you ask me.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Agreed. Kentuckypoint i think is close to home on this one. Ebay? If so there are a ton of fakes on there. Luckipy if you know what youre looking for there are also genuine ones as well. Ive got 2 posted now.

Comment

No, this is in my cousins collection. He is a geologist. Not interested in buying.
        So it is your opinion that anything in that condition is a fake?
        Last edited by DavidD; 03-12-2020, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          Not everything in that condition is fake, but things in that condition are nearly impossible to find. Axes were made to be used, not looked at, so the fact that I see zero wear on it is concerning. There would be some kind of wear even if it was left in the ground for all those years.

• tomclark
          tomclark commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, KP, so he knows that's what is setting us off

I'd like to see the "blade" part of it closely. Also the groove.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• tomclark
          tomclark commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd like to see the straight, flat side under magnification. Look for modern or ancient tool marks. I'd like to see the surface of the entire thing under mag.

OK, I'll ask for some more shots. We are both curious about this. We both have collections but neither have an axe. Don't know if these might have been ceremonial so unused. Understand you are looking for use marks.
        He's in Sacramento I'm in Ohio.
        Last edited by DavidD; 03-15-2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X