Problem Understanding the Thebes Cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Understanding the Thebes Cluster

Alright guys, I’ve been trying to find some information regarding the Thebes cluster. My focus is primarily on the Thebes and lost lake points. These points are described as knives but I cannot find an archeological report showing an associated projectile. If anyone has any information or a link to an archeological dig that shows the associated projectiles or other tools I would appreciate if you left it in the comments.

I hate to throw my uneducated guess into the mix but my curiousity gets the best of me: Would it be possible that the Thebes and lost lakes were spear/lance style points and not knives?

I recently discovered a Thebes site eroding out of the bank of the Ohio river and wish to know as much about what may wash out of the artifact layer next. I’ve found a Thebes sidenotched point, a broken biface, and two crescent like knives. These were discovered along the Ohio river in the northern panhandle of WV.

I agree with what Lar Hothem concludes in his books about Indian knives, once you read it you will never be confused about the topic of knives versus spears ...it’s a must for every collector.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

If you don't already have the book "Ohio Flint Types" by Robert Converse I would highly recommend it. It's very well organized and an easy read. Your area, like mine (western PA) had a strong Ohio native american influence because of the river systems.
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Working...
      X