Faceted hemitite... question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faceted hemitite... question

I have seen faceted red hemitite found by Rocks Cousteau on his YouTube channel here in my state. He said it was used to rub on other stones with water to produce colors for painting pottery, face paint, etc. anyone know if that is what this could be? Something else? I know the color of this would be much more subtle but it looks like it was rubbed/polished to me on more than one side.
    Hunting in Central Ohio

I’m not familiar with that kind of material, but I can tell you that the ochre that was used for the painting of pottery and in rituals in Southwest Florida was red, and easier to crush for practical use...
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Not saying it is, but to me that looks like a piece of catlinite. Also known as pipe stone...someone will come along who knows....keep on huntin’✌️
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Since you're hunting in central Ohio, I'd say it's a glacial flint/limestone nodule, they occur by the billions in various shapes and sizes. The giveaway is the smooth rounded edges, from the shades of gray, probably Columbus chert.

Comment

• CGriff61
          CGriff61 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Stansbury! Do you think the markings on the longer smooth side in pic 3 show any sign of polishing/rubbing? Or is that common with this sort of material?
      Working...
      X