Snap Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snap Base

Man my computer is slow tonight! I have a question about snap base points. We don't have anything called that where I come from. We have points with the base broken off. So I've seen many points on- line called snap base. Is this intentional? Is it just broken off, or is it the way the point is made from its preform? Maybe I can learn something? Looking forward to your answers. Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Hey Kim, I think some were snapped intentionally and some I don't. I've always considered those glorified heartbreakers. To me it's hard to tell if it was intentional or not if the snapped area was ancient. That's a great question.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I've always wondered the same. I've HEARD several theories on snap-bases. Never made sense, to me, to make a beautiful point, just to break the base off. I think, around my region, a lot of folks try to justify a broken find by calling it a "snap-base". Maybe there is some archeological evidence for some examples, but most of them I assume are broken. Just my opinion. And we all know what opinions are like, lol.
      Western Kentucky

Comment

Robert Converse book Ohio flint types calls them fractured base points, early archaic, two principle types, both rare. The first, and most often seen, has a straight base or slightly concave base on a short stem and relatively small notches. Shoulders are pronounced and may be straight or sloping. The second type has a stem which somewhat rounded with basal fractures directed upwards at a slight angle .The burin facets, which give it the name Fractured base, are directed from the edges of the stem towards the center .The stem is invariably short and is heavily ground. The grinding often obliterates much of the basal treatment .On many examples there is a little burin flake removed from each side of the stem downward into the notches. Some fractured base points are beveled. Many of them have heavy blades with the thickest part of the blade toward the tip when viewed from the side. All fractured base points are well chipped and carefully made. Points with fractured bases were first reported from Early Archaic Shell Mound sites in Alabama. However, similar points found on the surface in Alabama do not all have fractured bases. Ohio varieties appear to larger than the southern examples. In Ohio materials used are Flint Ridge flint, Indiana Hornstone, Upper Mercer flint, Carter Cave flint are all known for the type. Low grade cherts are rarely seen.

Comment

Hey Kim I’ve given it some thought,, certain types, Kirks for instance, have a greater ratio of snaps than say, archaic stemmed,... ask a skilled knapper when making an easier stemmed point how many stems he breaks as opposed to notching, I’m not a knapper but I’m guessing he doesn’t accidentally break a stem very often...Some of em are burrin style snapped from the side and some have light grinding..that’s all I got Kim, no theories as to why,
          Floridaboy.

Comment

I’d like them to be intentional Kim, but I think not Sir..
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I don't think there's such a thing as snap base point... just my opinion
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Hi Kim. This subject has come up in the past and it seems we get pretty much the same spread of opinions. The post by loudog is the first one that seems to bring new thinking to the subject on this forum. I'm gonna say the same thing I've said before so nothing new that I can add-just the SOS (same old stuff). So here goes: I collected points primarily in the Tenn. River Valley area in north Alabama. The "snapped base" points that I had in my old collection were all Kirks. I am of the very strong opinion that these are not points with bases that were broken by heavy use or broken in manufacture. They were all finished as evidenced by fine edgework and most had varying degrees of wear from use or resharpening. All were used as knives. When chert knives break from use they tend to break off at the tips or edges but sometimes the base is broken. The uninformed collector who thinks knives are "arrowheads" often calls the ones with broken tips "impact fractures". I had 42 unbroken Kirks in my collection. Of these 42, they break down as follows: Kirk Corner Notch-16, Kirk Stemmed-4, Kirk Serrated-4, Kirk bifurcated-2 and Kirk snapped base-16. Snapped Base Kirks made up nearly half of the unbroken Kirks I had. I had other broken Kirks but only catalogued the whole or almost whole points. I surmise that how the base came to have a "snapped" appearance is because they were left that way on purpose and it all has to do with the way they were halfed to the handle. "Back in the day" I first thought that they were broken points; but after I found so many that looked that way I began to think why would people continue to make a point for so many years (and over a wide area) that was so weak in design that it would break in the same place. I think not. People who made Kirks, if they were all of the same basic culture seemed to have a variety of basal styles. Many of the Early Archaic cultures have the same base style for points used as knives and darts. (Dalton, Decatur, Lost Lake, Dovetail, etc.) Kirk which I believe came along later seemed to have a variety of base styles as did Morrow Mt. which came later and Copena which came even later. It seems reasonable to believe that the different bases had to do with different halfting techniques.

Comment

• tomf
                  tomf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I see PPnet has entries for Kirk Snap-base and Adena Snap-base so I guess they think it's a 'thing'. I guess folks have argued this one for years.

• sailorjoe
                  sailorjoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, been argued for a long time. I still hold regarding my opinion based on my experience with Kirks as already stated. Not sure about the Adena. I only found a few of them.

I have more or less the same experience as sailorjoe. Though not specific to Kirks (obviously) but mostly obsidian knives. Just too square, clean and common to be accidental. Maybe it was a method to fix a damaged base or maybe it was just a good design. Chopping (burin-type cuts) seems to be a fairly common practice around here and I see the snap base as reflecting that technique.

Here are a few examples.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200303_163413.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	498657

Name:	20200303_163349.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	498658

Name:	IMG_9380.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	498659

Name:	20191109_123435.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	498660

Name:	20191109_123108.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	498661

Name:	IMG_9067.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	498662

Attached Files
                California

Comment

If a point was to break/snap, where would the most likely place be for that to happen?
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• gregszybala
                    gregszybala commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree Tom, my thoughts were in relation to being hafted. The hafting alone reinforces the point from where hafting begins down to the bottom of the point. If the point is stressed, one of the most likely places to snap.

• sailorjoe
                    sailorjoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Greg. Regarding your question: IMO a knife would be broken or chipped almost anywhere else before it broke at the handle. Witness where steel knives are most likely to break when heavily used or misused for the purpose, certainly not at
                    the very base Over the years, I broke a few knives. None of them broke at the base..Did you ever watch the TV series "Forged in Fire" and see the extreme tests put on those blades? I can't remember any broken at the handle.

• gregszybala
                    gregszybala commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well of course again Joe you are absolutely right. I guess I should have been clearer in what I was attempting to convey.

Name:	2-(1).jpg
Views:	582
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	498706 Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	498707 Click image for larger version

Name:	G1 (1).JPG
Views:	573
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	498708 Click image for larger version

Name:	CK1-(1).jpg
Views:	630
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	498709 Click image for larger version

Name:	G4 (1).jpg
Views:	592
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	498710 Click image for larger version

Name:	G1-(3).jpg
Views:	581
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	498711 Click image for larger version

Name:	side1b.JPG
Views:	576
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	498712 Snapped, broken, reworked bases....if it fit in the haft they let it ride. I have been to many campsites where when returning to camp they obviously brought back snapped bases in the haft to be retooled with new points... I've found piles of bases in one spot, twice.

Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

• tomf
                    tomf commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I finds way more tips than bases. Maybe only found a dozen or so, against hundreds of tips.

At one point I speculated that maybe all these tips were actually wedges. I just couldn't account for such a lopsided ratio. I abandoned that idea early but I'm still scratching my head over it.

• south fork
                    south fork commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All nice points and usable a broke to me is a half a point top or bottom .

• Hal Gorges
                    Hal Gorges commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ditto, I have found several bases in a two foot area.

In some cases a blunt , cut- looking base can be an un-retouched termination of a spall but others are clearly chopped after the knapping is all done.

This example shows what I mean.

Also, notice the subtle shoulder on the right side in this picture and how it's chopped off just above. Most of the knives I've posted on this thread have this feature, which to me says knife rather than spear tip.

Name:	20200427_100523.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	498722
                  California

Comment

• sailorjoe
                    sailorjoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Your point is obviously a knife.

• south fork
                    south fork commented
                    Editing a comment
                    To me just another puzzle without the other half a lot of knives are triangular and thinned at the base out west .

Wow Thanks for all the examples and thoughts. Tomclark posted pics. of the examples I was asking about. Tomf you gave me something to really think about. Snapped by use verses snapped on purpose. Good stuff you all gave me. One thought that I always assumed that all the bases was the result of what was left on the spear shaft after the hunt, and they were discarded at a workshop when new points were replaced. And some became small hafted scrapers. The other thing is that after the hunt, what remained in the animals killed were just the tips. sometimes reused sometimes discarded. This is the best thing about this site is the ability for the group to come up with optional opinions. With a topic like this it can give us all a new perspective! Thanks guys, Good Stuff! Kim

Comment

Example of a burrin style snap base on a Clay, With an impact fracture.note the double planes in pics.6-7.which requires two strikes.

Name:	50CB358E-B550-4879-83B9-FB8CBD83F15F.jpeg
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	498873 Click image for larger version

Name:	A5A3120D-3F7F-416E-98BF-0E6DEE9DA5D2.jpeg
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	498874 Click image for larger version

Name:	5D989F30-0080-4FA5-981F-331FBB93DE07.jpeg
Views:	571
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	498875 Click image for larger version

Name:	3B33B3AF-ED28-4AF3-9BB2-F1A399DDC013.jpeg
Views:	562
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	498876 Click image for larger version

Name:	D58773BE-3921-4FB4-BBCC-09D445DB0B18.jpeg
Views:	560
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	498877 Click image for larger version

Name:	CBB764F3-BCC8-4D7B-8B00-69EAA792847A.jpeg
Views:	577
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	498878 Click image for larger version

Name:	6A0A8B75-5536-44EC-AD97-D1156E81901F.jpeg
Views:	563
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	498879
                    Floridaboy.

Comment

• sailorjoe
                      sailorjoe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi Hal. Just saw these pics this AM. Excellent example of stems purposefully left with no work done on them. and good quality photos that illustrate your idea.

Originally posted by Hal Gorges View Post
                    Example of a burrin style snap base on a Clay, With an impact fracture.note the double planes in pics.6-7.which requires two strikes.

Name:	50CB358E-B550-4879-83B9-FB8CBD83F15F.jpeg
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	498873 Click image for larger version

Name:	A5A3120D-3F7F-416E-98BF-0E6DEE9DA5D2.jpeg
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	498874 Click image for larger version

Name:	5D989F30-0080-4FA5-981F-331FBB93DE07.jpeg
Views:	571
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	498875 Click image for larger version

Name:	3B33B3AF-ED28-4AF3-9BB2-F1A399DDC013.jpeg
Views:	562
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	498876 Click image for larger version

Name:	D58773BE-3921-4FB4-BBCC-09D445DB0B18.jpeg
Views:	560
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	498877 Click image for larger version

Name:	CBB764F3-BCC8-4D7B-8B00-69EAA792847A.jpeg
Views:	577
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	498878 Click image for larger version

Name:	6A0A8B75-5536-44EC-AD97-D1156E81901F.jpeg
Views:	563
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	498879
                    Thanks Hal I see that. Kim

Comment

Working...
                    X