Rhyolite Pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhyolite Pieces

I have been looking thru some Rhyolite finds and decided I haven't treated these to the care I show my quartz finds. Rhyolite obviously was an important material around my area. I have boxes of these pieces. The NA had a source on this land so it should not surprise me that I find a lot of these points and tools.

Some of these are pretty old

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1474_kindlephoto-17967622.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	510234

Some are pretty rough

Name:	IMG_1475_kindlephoto-18137994.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	510235

But they are all pretty cool to find

Name:	IMG_1473_kindlephoto-18074630.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	510236

Name:	IMG_1478_kindlephoto-18217459.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	510237

Name:	IMG_1479_kindlephoto-18266552.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	510238

Name:	IMG_1480_kindlephoto-18319031.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	510239

My question is whether I should try to use Gomer's concoction on some of these or will putting them in a frame help stop them from drying out further. There's some pieces in the pics that are banded but unless I wet the piece, you would never know. There's one piece that has band that looks like quartz but I'm not sure.

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	510240 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1477.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	510241
    South Carolina

Damn josie, you been holding out on me.. lol
    thats a large collection... and here I thought you were a newbie.
    You know I can’t help you with your question.
    December’s getting close.. keep a eye on your mailbox.....✌️
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Trust me, I'm a newbie. I can find artifacts, I just don't know what I find, lol. Some are nice, some are not so nice. I'll watch my mailbox!

• antmike915
      antmike915 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm the same way, with the exception of a few 🙂

Nice collection Josie that's a lot of Rhyolite finds. I think I might have one but not positive. So what's the reason for wanting to coat them is it do so the color shows? Patina age can make them dull I guess.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, SH. Some are deteriorating, badly.

If they are crumbling in case you need to put something on them because it will get worse. You sure have a lot of nice rhyolite points
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Johnny. There are a few that are crumbly, if that's a word. I had them in boxes and wondered if putting them in a frame would help.

A very inexpensive fix for drying out is Duco ( green tube ) and Acetone...start with way more Acetone a very little duco ( test it on a no nothing piece ) use a cheap half inch flat brush...It works, ...Very controllable, you may want to add more duco, if needed, you will know....P.S. don’t get high,Lol....That’s quite a collection, I’ll be a while lookin.
    Last edited by Hal Gorges; 11-27-2020, 10:49 PM.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hal. That's the recipe I read about. There's nothing fantastic in those pics but there are a couple of Kirks. I didnt log these into my spreadsheet. 😕

Wow Josie I'm really impressed with that collection of ryholite ...u got some real cool points there..yes treatbem like the quartz!
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Red. Don't be impressed, that's a couple of years worth and lots of broken pieces. But I do need to frame some of these. Thought I only had one Guilford but I have 3. I need a better storage option than putting them in boxes.

Wow Josie, impressive collection. I know what you mean about some material that deteriorate over time, not too long ago I posted a Savannah River that had issues. I have a few more like that but haven't posted them yet.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mike. I guess if we stop and think about it, these pieces are very old. This is a horrible analogy, but Rhyolite reminds me of flaky, layered dough, and after so long, the material is losing some of its layers, lol. That's a terrible explanation, but how I perceive the deterioration.

• antmike915
      antmike915 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, good explanation as any other.
      Last edited by antmike915; 11-29-2020, 02:10 AM.

Can't help you with the Rhyolite question but dang, that's a nice group of relics!
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Paohrocks! They are not as pretty as chert or quartz finds, but Rhyolite was used a lot around here probably because of a lack of other resources.

Hard for me to imaging that artifacts being thousands of years old , deteriorating in home ! I hope you can fix the situation, I’d be very alarmed !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey JJ. It's not all of them but just a few.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Whewww !

Quite the collection of Rhyolite. Hope you figure out a way to save them. Gomer's mix might be the solution. I would try one and let it soak for a while. Make sure you do it with plenty of ventilation.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
    X