Spear point, knife or fake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spear point, knife or fake

Hello from Iowa. A friend inherited a collection from her Grandpa, unfortunately without details as to how they were acquired. She asked me to help identify them as real artifacts, or modern. Her Grandpa lived in Iowa and Missouri most of his life. This is the largest piece. Would appreciate any input. Thank you.
    Attached Files

If it was from Georgia it would be a Kirk stemmed, but in your area there may be Hardin's and it would look similar to that with base broke off, really there is most likely not a good answer with stem gone. but it is a nice point the way it is. The big points were usually knives.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Like Johnny said. I might add that Kirk’s are notorious for having snap bases. I would go with a kirk, a nice old authentic one...it has fine serrations like knife edges would have....I don’t know as I’ve ever seen a spear head, but I would think the tip would be more important than the edges.
      Last edited by Hal Gorges; 12-01-2020, 04:03 PM.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Pretty material right there!!!
        North Carolina

Comment

Certainly a nice piece..
          even with the base gone.
          can’t help with a i.d., but looks authentic to me...👍
          Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

I agree with above comments. Looks like an authentic snapped base archaic Kirk corner notch. Large and awesome!
            SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Artifascination
              Artifascination commented
              Editing a comment
              The material looks like a high grade Burlington chert from Missouri / Illinois area.

Kind of has a Lost Lake look to me.
            South Carolina

Comment

Looks authentic to me as well, as of type maybe a Kirk, as Narrow mentioned possible Lost Lake.
              🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

nice, to bad the base is missing

Comment

Thank you for all your insight! I've been looking at lots of photos and see why having an intact stem is so important. She will be happy to know this piece is the real deal, and likely Kirk. I'll share all the info with her. She has another 24 or so points in the collection, some of which just don't look right, so I'll be sending more posts asking for some more help. Thanks again.
                  Duane

Comment

Working...
                  X