How to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to

What is the best way to approach a property owner to gain access to hunt for artifacts

Where I'm from a firm handshake, honesty and eye contact says a lot about your character and intent. Being a property owner I appreciate those gestures when people ask me to hunt small game and deer.
    Last edited by paohrocks; 12-03-2020, 06:22 PM.
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, yep, that’s the way... O, and I always add a lil’ smile!

Originally posted by Rick tracey View Post
    What is the best way to approach a property owner to gain access to hunt for artifacts
    I posted something like this before Rick. Here is what I do. Knock on the door and introduce yourself. Compliment their house or yard or farm something you find attractive about their place. Chit chat about something. Build a relationship. At some point ask if anyone has ever found Artifacts around there because it just looks like a good place. If they have, ask if you could see them sometime. Don't expect to be able to just ask and hunt. If they are interested in Native relics, ask if you could come back and show them some things you have found. Maybe ask if they know anything about Artifacts. Maybe they could help you ID some of your things. Ask to come back and bring some of your finds. Be patient friendly, complementary. Again build trust and friendship. If they like you well they may just say YES. I have gotten into places to hunt where nobody got to hunt before, because I made friends and sometimes that is more important anyway. Kim And add that smile Cissi was talking about.
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

This is my approach (but may be overkill in many circumstances):

Ask in person, not by phone, letter or e-mail and turn up at a convenient time (around 9.00 am or 6.00pm generally works for me). Dress smart casual, no sunglasses (get eye contact), shaved and fresh-smelling. Make sure you have a name that you can use to properly address the person you are visiting.

Briefly introduce yourself and make it clear you are not selling anything. Make it known if you are a club or society member of any relevant kind. Stress that you are a hobbyist who does this for fun and because you are interested… not because you’re looking for things of value that you can sell. Be clear that the fun of your hobby is as much about searching (as opposed to finding). You don’t know whether you’ll find anything or not, but won’t be disappointed if you don’t.

Take a small selection of interesting items with you and ask if the owner would like to see some things you’ve found at other locations. Spin a few yarns if they show any interest.

If other people in the vicinity have given you similar permission, make that known and offer the information in a way that could be construed as a reference and evidence of good character. Always ask if anyone who has given you permission would be willing to “vouch for you” in future.

Stress that you will not be searching at inconvenient times, making noise, bringing machinery on site or inviting others to join you (unless agreed). You will live with any restrictions or curfew the owner wants to stipulate and respect his privacy at all times. You will also not leave gates open, frighten livestock, disturb wildlife, tread down crops, build fires or leave litter. I generally offer up that I will also remove litter and junk if I find it. You will also leave the area in a tidy, restored state and fill in any holes you might have dug.

Reassure the owner that you will discharge him from any liability for accidents or injury to yourself (excluding negligence) and put this in writing. You will remain liable for damage to his property or other persons. If you are a club member, they sometimes offer insurance specifically related to this (at least, they do in the UK). Otherwise you need to consider whether any existing insurance policies you have provide adequate protection. If you have cover, offer to show evidence of this.

Offer to show anything interesting you might find to the owner if he’d like to see. (If you find a reasonable selection, you could offer to let the owner choose a couple of items). Stress again that you don’t intend to sell your finds but if anything valuable and saleable does turn up you will split the proceeds with the owner and commit to this in writing. I normally offer 50:50 and put a nominal “threshold” value on finds.

Whatever is agreed, put it in writing, be clear about the area covered (with a map or map reference if necessary), include some kind of time-frame and notice of cancellation, get it signed, get it dated and preferably get it witnessed. If the owner perceives a written agreement with discomfort, stress that it’s in his interests as well as yours. Here in the UK, metal-detector club websites have pro-forma agreements that can be downloaded and modified as appropriate (including modifying them for just eyeball hunting).

If the answer’s “no”, accept that gracefully and without argument. Thank the owner anyway and leave your card in case they have a change of mind (print your own if you have to).

If the answer’s “yes”, always revisit the owner with a material token of your gratitude as well as a written thank you note at some appropriate point. Whether you find anything or not. Something alcoholic or chocolatey does the trick.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang, Pain! (You realize, of course, some of us think too much!………please, keep on thinkin’! I used very similar approach when asking if could take horse in their woods; but those days, relied on the “cute” factor instead of good shave!)
        Last edited by Cecilia; 12-05-2020, 03:03 PM.

Yes thank you very good information

Comment

I always find out who owns the property first. Pretty easy to Google it on the address. I find its better if it's a couple so I don't scare a single person who's husband has passed. I always go around 11 am so its after breakfast and before lunch. Some sleep late to in my area. Once I find out who owns it I ask some other property owners if they know them so I can bring up a name for reference if they want to call about me. If everything is a go I then knock on the door on a week day never a weekend cause people are usually doing something with family. I'm upfront with my intentions after I introduce myself. I then tell them I believe in trading because this is fun for me and I ask what they're hobbies might be or if there is something I can do for them in the yard. If there is trash visible I offer to pick it up on every visit. Unfortunately people throw trash in my area and it's a pain for the owners. Sometimes if they don't ask for anything but let me walk on my second trip i might bring them a gift like a pie or a gift card to the local food market so they can get what they want. $20 is a great peace offering but never cash.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Ok I have been using local county auditors websites to find out who owns property’s in what I think could be good area’s to hunt, but I think in this area I should start with a letter first and go from there and if answer is yes then the gift card is a good idea I think I opt for local restaurant like a Texas Roadhouse

Comment

Its hard to get the foot in on your first property but once you do and show the owners you are respectable on their property like not leaving trash or digging up their grass or leaving holes after that you can ask them who else might let you walk. One time I was eyeballing a creek and nobody knew who the owners were. I didn't want to knock on their door cause it was a private drive. Low and behold they had a yard sale. I stopped and bought a civil war book from them to give to another property owner. As I talked to them I asked permission after buying something and got it. I used to have to park a long distance but now they let me park in their driveway but every time I go I have to text them for permission even 2 years later. Tip for you is ask about rules like parking and trade phone numbers make sure they take text or you might not get permission. I always like to trade numbers the same time I get permission right then. Always be ready to walk at the same time so they can see you cause they will be watching to be sure you aren't doing anything they don't like. If they leave their garage door open don't look in I always mind my own business cause its not my property and I let them know that as well. Cause I'm just there for one thing.
            NW Georgia,

Comment

If you take a young kid you’ll get permission. After introductions you Can say I was wondering if I my son/daughter/grandson ect can walk your field looking for arrowheads , you can ad that we don’t want to impose today but would like to hunt some other time ect. Can tap dance around and use any above ideas but kids are good icebreakers . Farmers are good folks

Comment

Yes! I have only asked for permission once to hunt a farmers field and it was eight weeks ago I found out who owned the property and I was able to get there phone number called and a very nice older woman answered and I asked if my son and I could look for arrowheads and she said yes have fun! So I think that I will continue to use this approach

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Children are always good to take along (as are small, innocuous dogs good “props” in certain very limited situations). And, I mean this in most not-mean way!
              Working...
              X