Black Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Light

How effective are black lights for revealing modern chipping, restores and glued breaks?

I think I need to buy one. What are you using?

Thank you!

What are you buying?
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Originally posted by SurfaceHunter View Post
      What are you buying?
      A black light in hopes that it will reveal modern rechipping, resto work and/or glued breaks...what are you using?

Comment

I use a loop but anymore I can spot a fake in hand pretty quickly. The net can be a little tricky just going by a picture
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Have a read of this from our Information Centre (scroll down to the second post on the thread):

Modern Re-Chipping of Lithic Artifacts - ArrowHeads.com
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Look for blubs that are BLB I have read 320 to 380 Nanometers NM work the best. BLB means Black Light Blue You can get a decent wall hanging one in a T8 x 18 inch long for under ten bucks. Then just use an 18 inch t8 fixture , look at under cabinet T8 fixtures maybe find them between 20 and 30 bucks. . Hang it in a closet or a space you can make completely dark. Buy what you can hard wire will need to change out a fixture someplace, they make them plug in too. . They sell the BLB in pig tail compact fluorescent too, Makes it easy to unscrew a closet ceiling bulb and screw this in and at 8 bucks easy peasy . .Might even find a flashlight model however the NM might run a bit higher.. Good luck with it.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by Roots View Post
              How effective are black lights for revealing modern chipping, restores and glued breaks?

I think I need to buy one. What are you using?

Thank you!
              I've never used any black lights but I've also heard it doesn't work on all materials. I've heard restoration work shows up well.
              ๐Ÿœ ๐ŸŽค SW Georgia

Comment

Thank you for the information and link to article. All very helpful!

I'm on the hunt and will post when I make a decision.

Comment

I have a couple and have found them useful. Re-chipping and glue show up on most Indian artifacts. Glue will also show on other materials like porcelain and glass. I bought a cheap grooved axe a couple years ago at a flea market and I figured out it was fake when I put the black light on it. Someone had used dirty motor oil to age it but made a critical mistake because the motor oil had dye in it and that thing glowed like it was radio active! LOL you live and learn.

Von

Comment

• Von
                    Von commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I should have taken one but at the time I was just disgusted.

• Von
                    Von commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I sold it as a reproduction for about half of what I paid for it. If I donโ€™t make to the pearly gates it will not be over selling a fake or misrepresented artifact!

Von

• antmike915
                    antmike915 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Completely understand
                Working...
                X