Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help indentifying this LARGE Ohio Point!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help indentifying this LARGE Ohio Point!

Hi! Found this large point in an antique shop in Marietta OH (Washington Co.) The lady selling it had a large collection of arrowheads once belonging to her grandfather. She said he found all of them in Washington County. This piece was by far the largest and most interesting piece. I'll admit, I am not a hunter/collector. I'm a "picker" as a hobby. The price seemed cheap enough, so I bought it with the intention of reselling. I'd like to some information about it if knowledgeable collectors might be able to help me... 1)What is the name of this shape of point? 2)What would it have been used for? 3)What time period/people would have made it?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Well first of all I would like to extend to you a welcome to the best arrowhead site on the web!
    The point you have there looks paleo for sure. If so it may be a clovis type.
    The fluting appears to be a little shallow but it is there none the less.
    Really can't tell if the base is ground.(Edges of the base ground smooth)
    That would be an indicator to look for.
    There will be others, with more knowlege on this subject than I, replying on this one.
    Good pick by the way and if she has more of this type and if they are reasonably priced
    then for Pete's sake go back and get the rest of them. :dry:
    Nice point, nice color, nice size, intact, kinda rough but of good quality.
    It does appear to have been repointed in antiquity which does not deter from it's overall.
    Bone2stone
    It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
    It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
    Circa:1982

Comment

looks like a decent(knife) blade to me . might be archaic. to me the base looks like it was haft-ed. i don't see any fluting ,i see basal thinning. being the way it is beveled i place it possibly early archaic. as for value might be 50-200 depending.  jim

Comment

Thanks for the responses!  Bone2stone mentioned the base of the point being ground.  This point doesn't appear to be ground.  As for "hafting", I'm not sure what that means..

Comment

Agree a very nice blade -and- very nice material. Lots of people on here from your area to comment on material type. I would agree with Jim on archaic in age early or late does have nice bevel!!
          Joe.

Comment

grinding is not present on all early pieces. the lance pictured in my avatar has very little grinding on the base( personal find). i class it as late paleo and your piece should fall into the time period as archaic bevels. the unused portion's at the bottom of the blade shows it was more then likely haft ed.  that's the best i can do without it in my hands.  jim

Comment

I appreciate all of the expert opinions.  As I mentioned in my first post, I am interested in selling.  Can anyone tell me where would be the best place to sell this blade?  I see that I can pay to open a store on arrowheads.com, but I have only one piece to sell (well, not actually.  I have one more piece I bought from the lady, a flint ridge arrowhead, but since it appears to be common, and probably of not much value, I thought I'd try ebay).  Also, would paying for an authentication be necessary or a good investment?  Thanks again for any advice.

Comment

Thank you for posting the end/base view.(No grinding that I can make out)
                Good pictures by the way.
                The piece still seems as if the edges of the base has been dulled down.
                An overall prospect on value of this point is relative to location,age and it's true type.
                Most of the people here won't place value on any item as such with few exceptions.
                If this point is archaic it appears to be very early.
                I doesn't matter as far as age to me the length, width and the general shape
                (Oddly triangular) sets it apart from most points I have seen.
                The shaft/handle had to be quite big for a piece that size.
                The more I look at your original post, the general outline of 
                that point looks like one of the Megaladon shark teeth.
                Bone2stone
                It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                Circa:1982

Comment

Very nice job on the pictures. That piece looks very thin too. Hard to type a triangle of such great proportions.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

My brother called me with some information he found in a book ("Arrowheads -and- Projectiles" by Hothem, I believe).  He thinks the blade in the book looks like this one.  I hope to post a copy of the page and see what all of you think.  I remember him reading to me that the blade in the book was from Ohio, closer to 5 inches long, and a "mystery", because it had characteristics of blades from 3 different time periods.  I hope to post it tonight.  Thanks again for the all of the advice everyone is giving me!

Comment

Here is a scan of the blade found in "ARROWHEADS -and- PROJECTILE POINTS" by Lar Hothem. The cover of this edition of the book shows "VALUES UPDATED 2010".  I don't think my blade is made of the same flint, because I don't see three hues of color.  I'm not sure I understand all of the description, but I think my bladed is verysimilar.  They both have a concave base, and neither of the bases show grinding.  The lengths are about the same, but my blade is a little wider.  Curious to get opinions as to whether or not these blades could be of the same origin.

Comment

I agree with Bone. Go grab the rest of that collection or tell me where it's at lol. I'm leaning more towards a large dart point which would make it pretty old. Best bet is to get it to one of the authenticators on the opening page and get it id'd. Please share the collection and the I'd on this point when you get them. If you are looking to sell, you will probably get some takers here. Welcome to the board.
                        Bob

Comment

Working...
                        X