I have a question about “tools”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question about “tools”

I find a lot of points, scrapers and knives. I stopped picking up interesting rocks last year because I felt like I was bringing home rocks as opposed to artifacts. Now I think I’m ready to start looking for tools along with points. I find hammerstones, manos, pestles and grinders. I feel comfortable with identifying those. I feel sure I should be finding choppers. I search the forum for choppers and even some of the choppers you guys and gals comment on, they look like rocks to me. What characteristics should I be looking for on a chopper? The only options for material around here is quartz, quartzite, rhyolite and slate. The slate here is not the beautiful polished slate shown on this site. I did find a large slate piece this week that I believe is a hoe. But I don’t know if slate was used for a hoe. But primarily I’m interested in choppers and what I should look for when trying to identify a chopper. As always thanks for the help!
    South Carolina

I think you are at a disadvantage trying to identify one with those types of lithics simply because they don't show the flaking as well as a creamy piece of chert, but seems like a quartz or quartzite chopper would still need to have one sharp edge and one rounded/cobble end for gripping. Also look for a "clam shell" edge. Even without a clear flake scar, you would probably see a wavy edge. Others will probably be of more help than me. Good luck.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      “Clam shell edge” is a perfect description of the flaking on quartz. I’ve often said in my post of quartz points/scrapers that the edge is wavy. Thanks Flintguy!

Depends on how strong you’re slate is they did use it in my area for tools. Just post it up and let’s see. Might be natural might not. I find some ugly ones. You can send me pics through a pm if you like
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Glenn. I have to find one first. If choppers can be the size of my palm, I’ve probably call them scrapers. Read some more last night, it’s confusing because I definitely would call some pieces a scraper not a chopper. It will click one day, lol.

Here is one I picked up while fishing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D46D3FE3-4289-42D5-B7D0-72D40BBBADAA.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	563677

Name:	8BCC2C4D-2C7E-4FD3-96E6-39AC3333CF16.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	563678

New York

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw yours searching the forum. I can see chopper in that piece and it’s quartz, right? For some reason, I was thinking a chopper wouldn’t be made of quartz but that’s about the only material here that I think would be strong enough. That’s a nice find. Thanks!

Hey Jo, A lot of people find cores and call them choppers: Good luck sorting that out. Just like a lot of people find reduction flakes and call them scrapers. The ancient Native Americans were outstanding craftsmen. Most people realize that the points were worked well but the tools were too. Certainly quartz and quartzite will make it more difficult to see the work.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Tam
      Tam commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point Ron . Just about 90 percent of the reduction flakes I pick up could be thought of as scrappers , micro knives .

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron. Searching the forum last night I saw a lot of examples where core was called a chopper. Different members had different opinions. But I do understand what you are explaining about flakes vs scrapers. I think I’ve graduated from calling flakes, scrapers but I do think I find flakes with a graver😩I hope that’s possible.

Hey jo. .all the above. Soon you'll know when u have a tool.and when u don't...comes with time. and experience I think!
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Red.

If it’s a cobble size with one edge and other cortex I’m guessing chopper if both sides have edges I would guess scraper. I have one at home that’s bigger than a scraper I call a chopper definitely not a core
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Glenn. I have one like your describing but I thought it was a scraper.

I might be able to get a picture tonight found right near a campsite in the creek
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Hey Jo, Here are two that I can be sure about: Why? Well just because I made them.

The first one is a waste flake but I'm sure it could be used for something.
      The second one is a Kerrville Knife or Fist Axe. The Fist Axe is a chopper of sorts.

Name:	waste flake.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	563911Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 838a Root Beer.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	563912
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Josie
        Josie commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ron. I might pick up the first of your pictures. The second one 😁 I’d probably fall over and pass out if I found it! Nice job on those!

One thing to remember is deliberately shaped formed choppers probably aren't as common as other artifacts. As others have said just a random rock with an edge will do. I did find a couple on 13'th century sites that were made of the same hard greenstone they made their celts out of. I wasn't totally sure of the first one until I found a second one nearly identical. they both exhibited a crude sinuous (clamshell) edge. but otherwise were just a rock.

Comment

Hey Josie.....im pretty sure what i have here is a chopper.......its made out of lithics that i typically find for my area....i believe it was a core at one time, but definitely has a worked edge to serve some sort of purpose.....i was looking for points when i found it...im not sure that this helps you in your hunt for choppers, but hopefully this example will give you a better idea of what to look for Click image for larger version

Name:	20210620_183919.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	564401Click image for larger version

Name:	20210620_183937.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	564402Click image for larger version

Name:	20210620_184001.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	564403
        Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• Josie
          Josie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Benji! Yes that helps. I always thought a chopper would be about the size of my hand. I looked yesterday but didn’t find what I was looking for. I find, what I call scrapers, with the clam shell edge. They are not large pieces though.

Mine isn’t as pretty as most pictured it’s very crude and made from a quartzite cobblestone Click image for larger version

Name:	689EECD7-9377-4F60-930C-FD66E7FC4E9F.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	564487Click image for larger version

Name:	B6E044CA-997B-4D32-9871-457C5AE29B2A.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	564488Click image for larger version

Name:	056A1C00-65AE-4F9B-9F1E-680DF7C20ECD.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	564489
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• Josie
          Josie commented
          Editing a comment
          Same material here, too. I’m looking. Lots of rain the past 2 days. I’m going to try to go this afternoon if it’s not too muddy. Thanks, SH!

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I could of gone myself today but to muddy right now

Name:	183FF682-0DE5-44DB-BC6E-A1EFF93DF074.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	564755Click image for larger version

Name:	A16C65E7-9475-4296-AD23-C915CA53EE1B.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	564756 Jo… here’s a pic. of a few i’ve found over the years..
        more commonly called hand axes up here.. all are crudely made with cortex visible… all seem to have a pointed end, up here…✌️
        Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• Josie
          Josie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Brad. I see some similarities to some I found. But I left them on the edge of the field. I’ll look again.
      Working...
      X