any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any suggestions?

Hello fellow collectors, about two years ago I got woken up at 4 in the morning to my 1853 school house up in flames. I lost everything I had worked for my entire life including my artifact collection. A portion of my collection was inside a thick antique oak display case which didn't burn up completely. As for the artifacts inside the case, everything got bad smoke damage and got melted varnish on one side of them. All the hard stone pieces and slate pieces turned black from the smoke and I am unable to get the original color back due to porosity of the stone. I have a ridged glacial kame forget that I have gotten state recognition and awards for that I would love to be able to clean up to its original state. I have used nail Polish remover and cotton balls to keep from scratching it but have had little luck with. I was wanting to know if anyone here would have any advice on What I could do and will post pictures after bit, Thanks for helping

That is a real shame Cheesey. I don't have any idea how you would go about cleaning. Hopefully some one will come up with an idea.
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I would try soaking in some good ol vinegar.
      I went through the same type of event about 8 years ago, and I can tell you cleaning up anything thats been through a fire is tough duty.
        Joel

Comment

Try acetone. Soak artifacts in it.
        Jack

Comment

greywolf22 wrote:

Try acetone. Soak artifacts in it.
          Jack
            There are precautions when using acetone:
          If soaking in acetone then the acetone must be placed in a covered glass or metal container as it dissolves most plastics including the bristles of most brushes.
          The container needs to be covered (preferably air tight) because acetone evaporates at a very high rate.
          It is preferable to use it outside as the fumes are extremely flammable
          If used inside then you must have adequate ventilation.
          11KBP

Comment

sorry that had to happen to you hope you have better luck ts

Comment

Working...
            X