Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone found 2 (or more) pieces of the same broke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone found 2 (or more) pieces of the same broke?

I found these 2 pieces and 2 seperate days about 10ft apart. One on surface and the other while digging.

Digging bunches of times, in a field a couple.

But one surface and one dug, no. How deep was the buried piece?
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Probably 3-4 times but very rare to do most times they won’t match perfectly so you have to study the stone and see the match by flaking
      NW Georgia,

Comment

One time when digging, found the base and about 10 minutes later found the tip. Both were pretty deep and alot of chunks and shards of the same material was mixed in. Made me think it was broke during manufacture.
        Last edited by antmike915; 08-05-2021, 01:48 PM.
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	broken2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	23.1 KB ID:	574349 Well I'm embarrassed by this fuzzy pic taken before cell phones and internet... it is patinated coral steeply stepped uniface (a PCSSU...) and tip like a chisel. Found both pieces within a few inches of each other eroding out of a wall of midden. A little over 3" Super Glue. The way it was I'm sure it broke back in the Day and was discarded on the spot right there.
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Originally posted by clovisoid View Post
            Digging bunches of times, in a field a couple.

But one surface and one dug, no. How deep was the buried piece?
            It was about 6-8" down. I didnt even realize until i took it home and sat near some recent finds and noticed they were the same material.

Comment

It was broken on the surface, half was kicked around or drug into an animal hole, then later covered up ..I think maybe that’s what happened.
              Floridaboy.

Comment

Excavating entire sites, I have matched ancient brokes hundreds of times. One interesting thing, often the pieces will be drastically different colors. In many cases, so different that I would never dream they were the same material.

On a Brazos river site, I matched a huge broken birdie. The halves were found 8 months apart and 200yds.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	stillwell.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	574493

Yep, found the tip half sticking up in a fresh plowed field. I was ready to quit for the day being disappointed that it was broken. Then decided that the break looked awfully fresh, and started digging by hand, no tools. The base was at the bottom of the plow zone. In my excitement, I didn't think to look for the missing right ear. This is a pristine un-sharpened Stillwell and is from near their eastern limit, Fairfield Co. Ohio. It's the longest (just 1/16" shy of 6") ever recorded in Ohio by more than an inch, as they're usually sharpened much smaller.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• tomf
                    tomf commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's a special one. Glad you put in the extra work.

I haven’t caught a break piecing together brokes.

Comment

You did an outstanding job of putting it back together. What an outstanding point. What type are you calling it? If you don't know then let us know the general area where you found it and perhaps we can help with an ID.

Comment

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
                      You did an outstanding job of putting it back together. What an outstanding point. What type are you calling it? If you don't know then let us know the general area where you found it and perhaps we can help with an ID.
                      If you're asking about mine, It's a Stillwell, Kirk related from Fairfield Co. Ohio.

Comment

• sailorjoe
                        sailorjoe commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes. Referring to your fine point. I was not familiar with the Stillwell type but surely looks like a Kirk corner notch except much longer and slimmer than any Kirks I ever saw. I did some checking on some of my resources and between you and them I learned something new today. Thanks for posting. A beautiful point you found. Your persistence surely paid off.

Many stories I’ve heard make hair on arms stand up, like destiny guiding us! One of best I know is about WillJo’s boy finding halfa point and his twin brother finding other half 20 yrs later!!
                      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

found both pieces same day about 30 years ago ,keep it with the rest of the Paleo pieces from my site, may never be able to identify it, would be nice though .my uncle Gillis did it at least 3 times while I was hunting with him, he had a keen eye for spotting arrowheads
                        2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

Originally posted by LongStride View Post
                          found both pieces same day about 30 years ago ,keep it with the rest of the Paleo pieces from my site, may never be able to identify it, would be nice though .my uncle Gillis did it at least 3 times while I was hunting with him, he had a keen eye for spotting arrowheads
                          Looks like an Early Triangle to me. Nice oldie.

Comment

Working...
                          X