X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 yr old Asphaultum Hafting - David Crain

The Photos -and- Text are from David Crain / Texasarrowheads.com
    2000 yr old Asphaultum Hafting
    This is a rare find for my part of the world.
    In both Central Texas and along the Middle Texas coast the rains and associated humidity have washed away almost everything that is even remotely perishable. So you can imagine my surprise when I witnessed my friend Tim Page find this asphaultum covered artifact in the bottom of a Harris county creek!
    Asphaultum washes up from the oil rich gulf of Mexico on the beaches here. While many people today mistake this asphaultum on the beaches for pollution from our offshore oil drilling activities, it has in fact been washing up naturally throughout time.
    The Texas Indians were quick to take advantage of any gifts of nature and this naturally occurring asphalt was no exception. In late prehistoric times it was used to coat the inside of clay pots to make them more waterproof. All the way back into paleo times it was used to help haft projectile points. Asphaultum is most commonly seen as residue on points or other hafted artifacts. This point still has all of the asphaultum hafting left on it. Perhaps it survived because it was entirely under water, at any rate I was simply amazed to see it found!

That is truly amazing. To think of the time that has survived. Thanks for showing.

Comment

Its a real neat and rare artifact. I have only seen a handful over the years.

Comment

That is really something different, and very educational. They used a form of asphalt as we know it to haft a point to cool!! Who are the smart ones? There technology is still good by me, don't think ours will be 1,000 yrs. from now. Hope so for our kids sake!

Comment

That is indeed the first time I have ever heard of such a thing. That is marvelous, I hope some day this population that is on this planet will learn how to be half as self sufficient as the Native Americans.
             95% of Americans today would be more concerned with protesting Asphaultum and calling the first 800 lawyer commercial to see what they could get before realizing an opportunity for a natural occurrence. I will add that to something I have learned today, thanks. Bill

Comment

I'm truly impressed and astounded at the same time. Never heard of this before.  I'm impressed that early men were that smart - then again you learn to survive by adapting to what you have - so I shouldn't be overly surprised.  I'm astounded at all the stuff I continue to learn on this site.  Think I'll stick around and learn some more.   ---Chuck
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

95% of American protesters already use rock and asphalt to hold there protests.  It's called a street.  By the way do 95% of Americans really take to the streets to protest?  My girl thinks it's more like 5%.

Comment

Working...
              X