Points of the Rio Grande

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Points of the Rio Grande

Anyone else hunting points in south Texas? Do you know how many different tribes visited the Rio Grande river valley? I have points from so many makers from so many eras. The styles and workmanship indicate at least six different groups moved through the area.

Ken
    These are the 52 culture groups that lived at one time on the Rio Grande River - From West Texas to the Gulf. The time line is early Paleo into Historic times.
    Point Types - 40 types:
    Abasolo, Almagre, Angostura, Baker, Bandy, Carrizo, Castroville, Catan, Charcos, Clovis, Conejo, Darl, Demuke, Early Stemmed, Early Triangular, Ellis, Ensor, Fairland, Figueroa, Folsom, Frio, Golondrina, Gower, Kenny, Langtry, Lerma, Marcos, Matamoros, Montell, Paisano, Pamillas, Pandale, Pandora, Pedernales, Plainview, Refugio, Scottsbluff, Tortugas, Travis, Val Verde.
    Arrowheads - 12 types:
    Cameron, Caracara, Cliffton, Fresno, Guerrero, Harrell, Livermore, Perdize, Sabinal, Scallorn, Starr, Toyah.
    Lithic materails most used along the Rio Grande: Edwards Plateau Chert one of the largest sources of chert in the United States, Rio Grande Gravels, Uvalde Gravels, Burro Mesa Chert in Big Bend National Park.
    Jack

Comment

Auburn wrote:

Anyone else hunting points in south Texas? Do you know how many different tribes visited the Rio Grande river valley? I have points from so many makers from so many eras. The styles and workmanship indicate at least six different groups moved through the area.
        I have some personal finds from the valley, let's see some pics of the ones that you found.

Comment

Hey guys, please be patient with me on the pics. I work in the oilfield and have been very busy. I will send an example of my different point types as soon as I can.

Comment

Ok, here you go. My wife and I have been hunting Zapata, Texas for around ten years. These things are just laying around everywhere.

Comment

Sorry, guess I need to figure out how to attach a picture first.

Comment

Working...
            X