lost lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost lake

In the process of acquiring several points. Two or three are lost lakes.
    I just had an idea that the culture that knapped the lost lake had the idea from the get go that once we use this point up we will turn it into a drill.
    Any and all comments are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Missouri

My opinion is that 75 percent of what we call drills are really just exhausted blades. Some were then used as drills for sure.

Comment

In my opinion some exhausted knives were made into drills but I also believe that if they needed a drill as part of their tool kit then they couldn't wait till a knife became exhausted. I don't have an opinion as to what percent each drill was from which source. I do know that during the Early Archaic period it was common that points would have the same style of base whether it be for dart points, knives or drills.

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely sailor at least that is the case here in the Susquehanna valley Pa. I have rhyolite points, tools, drills, punches etc. that came from the same type of preform. K

Agree with both comments above.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Well, I'm with you fellers. I believe I've seen knives exhausted to the point of looking like a drill from nearly every era of NA archaeology. I have handled some, from what I could tell were true drills. They tended to be more rounded. Knives, even though exhausted to the point of looking like a "drill" would still be too sharp edged to actually drill into anything harder than mud. That all being said, I said nearly. This thread got me thinking, I don't believe I've ever seen a stone "drill" from the paleo era. Have any of you?

Comment

• Garguy
          Garguy commented
          Editing a comment
          I absolutely have

• ApacheNDN
          ApacheNDN commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet! Is it something you found? What was the style?

When I think of drill I was only thinking of poking holes thru hides. I've seen the holes in Bannerstones (on net) and I have pearls drilled, but never thought what were used for the latter two.
        Missouri

Comment

• ApacheNDN
          ApacheNDN commented
          Editing a comment
          From what I've read, bannerstones were drilled with river cane. The publication had several examples of banners that weren't drilled completely and still had a stone plug from what was inside the cane drill.

• outlaws15
          outlaws15 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a piece that isn't finished, just has a hole maybe 1/4 to 1/2 thru

• ApacheNDN
          ApacheNDN commented
          Editing a comment
          That's cool. Banners are pretty rare here in the Ozarks. I did watch a friend dig one out of a shelter in about 30 years ago. It was a 2", tube shape made of a green slate.
      Working...
      X