O.K. Artifact restoration thoughts and question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.K. Artifact restoration thoughts and question

Alright guys, I have noticed many restored pieces, hardstone, flint and the like. How do you feel about it? The reason I am asking, in a recent collection I am in the process of purchasing I have a legendary dovetail bottom. The barbs are pristine, base is perfect, gorgeous Ohio black flint but a little over an inch of the tip is missing. Called a friend of mine and asked him if he knew anyone who restored artifacts and he stated that he himself had done some pretty nice ones. Which does not surprise me because he is indeed one of the best knappers I have ever seen, he suggested for me to try it myself.
       Told me to use J.B. Weld for the repair material and finish off the length that should be there, true it with a dremel stone, then create the flake appearance with a polishing wheel on the dremel and match the paint. So what do you think? Should one attempt to restore their own broken stuff? Good idea, bad idea? Or have you heard of any other methods? Looking forward to the input. Thanks, Bill

Bill; I would never change a artifact or restore it to what it might have been just to make it complete. To me this would make it a new point different from what was original. I know this is just my idea but artifacts if not complete are still artifacts but if you change them they to me they are no longer real. Sure part is real but not the same as original. It seems to me to make a new point from a broken or to restore it changes the artifact and I would not do it. Just my feelings after finding hundereds of broken points with just the very tip gone. Left them just as they were found and gave them away to other collectors for study. If people want to restore artifacts than that is fine as long as they in someway keep them marked as not original.

Comment

That is indeed the a tug of war I have within myself. I am looking for opinions, I have noticed that for the most part this has been what appears to be an old practice. Done earlier on older artifacts I see in auctions. Mainly banded slate banners and gorgets and the like. I doubt I alter the artifact as it is in the frame now. But the views on the subject are what intrigues me. Thanks Ron,

Comment

In my opinion, altering a artifact in any way changes it from artifact to replica. Not for me.

Comment

Thanks Butch for the input. This is a pretty large collection I have purchased and there are many artifacts to come and thumb through. So I will add another question for opinion, the collection comes in Riker frames with a letter from the son showing his inheritance of it. Do I leave them in the frames as is? Or do I organize and display them as I would. The downside there is no journal showing the individual info, should a inventory them with my number system calling them out as the former collectors? Just looking for more input, over 300 pieces in the collection, thanks Bill

Comment

If they are going to be part of your existing collection I would add them to your existing system. If they are going to be kept intact as a seperate collection no need.
            Congratulations on your new artifacts.

Comment

I'm with Ron and Butch on this. Just isn't the same artifact anymore. I have only purchased a handful of points in my time so the bulk of my collection is what i find. I treasure the brokes ( about 85% )as much as the perfects or near perfects. Some are old breaks some no doubt recent and hit by the farm equipment. I guess what I'm saying is I don't collect for the G10, I collect to salvage, study, learn, and appreciate the use and work put into the piece by the person who crafted it. But thats just me. If you want to tweak the dovetail that is your business, but it should be identified as such.
              And by the way, how do you come across a 300 piece collection?
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Greg I am blessed to live on a campsite on the property I rent in Stark Co. Ohio. A store owner here from southern Ohio purchased the collection which is predominately stark co. stuff. I guess I was in the right place at the right time. I have had some pretty good luck purchasing whole collections here and there over the years.
                  Makes alot of flint to thumb through which is euphoric to me during the long winter months when the ground is covered. I would no doubt clarify that a point had been restored if it was done by me, but I am pretty well convinced I will leave it as is. Thanks for your input. Bill

Comment

That is sweet, a camp in your own yard! My wife would have to pry me out of there to get anything done around the house. It is amazing how addicting this hobby? is. Nice you could find a collection like that, that is from your immediate area. I could feel the euphoria coming off the computer screen as I read your post!
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

IMO, there is nothing wrong with proper restoration of damaged artifacts, even though it doesn't really help the value. If you think it would look better restored, restore it. I'd never use J-B Weld, Bondo or a dremel tool- ever seen a real flake that looks like a dremel tool scar? Carve flakes individually and by hand, into partly hardened filler such as Apoxi-Sculpt.
                    A well restored relic can be a beautiful thing, or if poorly flaked and painted (or overpainted- paint the whole thing!!)it can be a real tragedy.

Comment

Never heard of apoxi sculpt but will check into. Even though I am quite certain that I will leave the dovetail as is, might try my hand at another chunk of something in a coffee can just to see how it comes out for the heck of it. Thanks for the input Cliff, hope to be posting some of the NC stuff from the collection as it comes in for your help with identification. Thanks Again, Bill

Comment

I was thinking about this last night. :blink:  I got to thinking that the one reason I collect artifacts is because they are Indian American made. If I had a point that was (fixed) in one way or the other it would no longer be Indian but a white guy point and that would not be the same. Just my feeling on this and in no way would I ever tell another collector that he should not do what he wants. And on the collection thing. If I had it I would display the artifacts as I wanted but keep all the records as best as I could on each one. After all they are yours now and that is where the fun of this hobby is. If you can't make up your mind I will send you my address and I sure would like to try to work them in up here. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Comment

Thanks Ron, you are always so thoughtful. I have seen many restorations on artifacts and will probably try my hand at one just to see if I have the knack. But will do it on a dud in a coffee can as I said earlier. If I ever get to it I will post before and after photos.
                             As for the collection I think I will try to work it in here, but will keep your more than generous offer in mind. Bill

Comment

Yes, I think each to his own. I visited my old friend Charlie one time down in his relic room, and he had a bunch of broken and fixed points on a table. All the restoration was thick and clunky and BLUE as the sky. I asked him did he have his grandkids over, but he said he'd been trying some restoration, but he "didn't want to fool anybody" so he painted them blue. I quickly moved on to his normal natural points. I kind of chuckled to myself, but they were ugly as a mud fence and did I say BLUE!!!
                            So, each to his own.

Comment

I say go for it if you want to. I do not restore my broken ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X