Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep red translucent arrowheads. Can someone help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep red translucent arrowheads. Can someone help?

Hello all - this is my first post so I hope it is in the correct place.
    I have two very old deep red arrowheads. As I have zero knowledge of this subject I am hoping someone here can help me indentify them.
    They were part of a substantial collection of pottery, kachinas, baskets and textiles that my mother donated to the Maxwell museum in New Mexico, but they were not included in the inventory. My mother stated that they came from New Mexico. They had been in her collection since the early 1920s and she commented that they were quite old when she got them. I cannot find any reference to these arrowheads on the internet. Two southwest relic collectors have looked at pics and are quite puzzled.
    They are translucent, very deep red and carved, as they put it, "the old way" using stone tools. I will try to attach 2 jpg. photos of them.
    I would greatly appreciate any information anyone may have or referrals as I would like to sell them as well as understand what they are.
    Thank you

Hello; You came to the right place. If these guys can't figure those out no one will. I am familar with Columbia river artifacts and not with those from New Mexico. If I were to throw out a guess I would say red glass. They have the look of glass and the style sure could have been from the trade goods era. I am quite sure you will get the answer from the members on this forum. And thanks for posting your question that makes this place a lot of fun. Good luck from Washington state.

Comment

Hi - thank you for your reply. I read a single post on a railroad collectibles site that when the railroad first crossed through the west, Indians used lantern glass to make arrowheads...but the post also stated that was only a theory. It seems that no one had an actual sample of one.
      I've seen a single photo of a modern reproduction and they look nothing like these either. I did speak to a seasoned collector (pottery -and- textiles) in Santa Fe and it was his opinion they were very old....which means what? He didn't say other than that they "have to be far, far older than the trading post era" which was, apparently, the pre-depression years.
      Last, one of the relic collectors I spoke with said that (from the pics)it appears they may be obsidian. I thought obsidian was black but he said not always, and so that is why I posted my questions. I appreciate your comments!

Comment

That is true Cbsidian can be red and from what I have seen usually has lines in it. Of course Obsidian is glass and we can see what the others on here think. They are beautiful and if I had them they would stay here. To sell them you would most likely have trouble getting what they are worth as people may not understand what you do about the history in them. Lets see what the rest of the guys here think they are much better than I at those points from there.

Comment

For Wildhorse -
          Can you please email me  :cheer: at:  whiteriverpics@yahoo.com
          I have a couple questions that I need to ask you.
          And thanks again for your post.

Comment

Hello Greg, fascinating artifacts and story. If I were to take a shot in the dark at typing them, I would have to lean towards "Desert Delta" points. They are from the Classic to historic period (700-200 BP). Also simulates "Desert Sierra" (Same period). There is a type of Obsidian that is called "Red Black" I am guessing that they are bird point size (1" or so)
              Price wise from what I see on those types are $55.00 to $100.00 in pristine shape and those look pretty good. I am no expert Greg on the Southwest stuff, don't take this to the bank for any reason, let some others with more knowledge chime in, but that should help you get a start. Hope it helps, Bill

Comment

For Bill -
              thank you for the comments. As this is an area of which I know pretty close to zero about, can you please explain what "the Classic to historic period (700-200 BP)" means? What does BP stand for? :cheer:
              Gary

Comment

I think those are made of red bottle glass. Cannot see any age on those two. Age would be Historic to modern.

Comment

BP + Before Present time. Classic to historic period is merely the name of the period from which they were made. Artifacts are based on time periods. Paleo (11,500-8000 BP) Early Archaic (10000-6500 BP) Mid-Late Archaic (6000-4000 BP) Terminal Archaic (3800-3000 BP) and so on. Classic to historic time is merely the time your points were made if they are originals.
                    Sorry for not clarifying that earlier, Bill

Comment

They look modern to me for a couple of reasons. The material is red glass in my opinion. The pieces are nearly identical. The pieces are a little thick for the your typical obsidian bird points from that area. By modern, I'm saying they aren't more than a hundred years old. Please take this for what it's worth and that is just my opinion.
                    Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X