Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modoc Bow Info

Hi Guys-
    I have been trying to find someone to authenticate a bow I have for several years. It is a Modoc bow that my GGG grandfather received for health services rendered to a group of Modoc about 1906 in Kansas. The Modoc Tribe was rather antagonistic when I contacted them. LOL. Please advise and thanks-

If you're certain of the piece's provenience, what's to authenticate?

Comment

Couldn’t hurt having it looked at. Some family stories can get distorted into tall tales over the years. An authentication will cement the story as it is passed down in family over the years.
      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

That's really neat. It's too bad the Modoc don't seem to care about past friendships/history. Any idea what kind of wood was used to make it?
        South Carolina

Comment

Hi guys. There is really no need to authenticate it except it would be nice for my decedents. I am going to make some type of display for it and an authentication would be a nice addition. My ancestor was one of the first frontier doctors in Kansas and entertained and helped a group of Modoc for about a month and was given this bow, a quiver, arrows, and leather work for his services. This was before the Modoc Tribe was allowed to return to the west coast. About half of them returned. When I contacted the tribe in Oklahoma, they were very antagonistic saying I was trying to steal their heritage. ??? I was just trying to find out more about who my ancestor helped. LOL. The only item that remains is the bow.

Comment

• LongStride
            LongStride commented
            Editing a comment
            seems like it should be important to them since you have the history of how it came into your possession, not sure who you should contact , I feel like may be someone else who would be interested in your story and how your ancestor helped their tribe through some rough times

I can't say if the bow is authentic or not. But based on a simple google search several pop up that are supposedly authentic, and based on their designs and overall shape, I would guess yours is as well. This type of thing happened a lot in Oklahoma around the time your antecedent collected the bow. This has a lot of bad feelings that carry over to our present time. A lot of feelings that "white " people were taking advantage of poor Natives who couldn't necessarily afford services and items were offered up as trade due to lack of funds. Best thing for you is to enjoy the item you inherited and trust the family story. The Modoc, like many tribes, mine included were nearly destroyed by the "white" man. Having a non tribal member show up with one of their historical items would stir up a lot of old hurts, especially the way it was collected. Not trying to preach at you, just give you a perspective from the other direction.

Comment

What a fine piece. I remember quite a few yrs ago trying to get threw a mass of native Americans demonstrating outside the Owensboro KY show . A lot of hard feelings of the white man owing their past properties. Even 6,000 yrs ago pieces. you have a nice piece and story to go with it, Good luck.
            SE IA

Comment

Working...
            X