Paint pot???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint pot???

Check out the pic in my profile,what is it? Had more pics my bubby e-mailed my but only this one loaded. will try to get them on tonite after work. Seems to be pottery but not shell tempered. He found it at a estate sale in s. Michigan. My guess is double chambered paint pot??? I know almost NOTHING about pottery! Will try to post rest of pics tonite. Mark.

Moderator Note: profile album pictures no longer available

Loaded more pics on my profile if anybody is interested. Curious.

Comment

Mark, that is certainly unique to my eye. Never seen one with two holes.Though I am no expert I would have to say that it looks to be worked by man, and that a paint pot is not out of the question. I would let those with more experience in hardstone artifacts chime in, but I think it is something whether paint pot or otherwise IMO Bill

Comment

Pretty sure its not hardstone Bill,some sort of fired clay. Its a head scratcher! The hole goes thru to the bottom of chamber. Didnt have my loupe with me to glass it to see if it was drilled intensionally? It is ancient but what it is??? The estate sale he got it at was in Mason mi and they had $3 on it calling it pumice! Him and I do alot of trading but he shot down a couple of offers! Gonna check it out better on my next day off. Mark.

Comment

It looks a lot like limestone, which can erode away in strange shapes. It looks like no artifact made by man.

Comment

That is kinda what I wondered Cliff the more I look at it. I found a similar material in Beech Creek that I was convinced was a pipe preform but took it to a fellow long time collector and he showed me that it was natural. Just confusing how the holes are lined up on Mark's piece is what challenged my thought process.

Comment

Thanks Cliff. Strangest geofact Ive ever seen! Mark.

Comment

PS.... Guess I dont want to make a trade!

Comment

Working...
                X