Pestle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pestle?

I am new here, years ago I found this perfectly cylindrical piece that is very smooth and on one end it has rounded edges as if it was worn down by wear and the other end is conccave which makes it nice to hold it using your index finger. I was wondering if it was maybe used as a pestle to grind up paint etc in a small mortar. Any ideas?

I have tried about 7-8 times to post a pic but it is a no go.  I didn't have any problems yesterday but tonight every time I try to add a picture it comes up Internet Explorer cannot display page error message.  The pic is about 325 kb so I didn't think it was too big.

Comment

Arborist,
        First off I want to welcome you to the site and hope you learn something and hopefully pass on some of your knowledge to us.
        For the picture problem I suggest using Photobucket to do any type of pictures on any forums, you just upload your pictures there and they will give you a snippet of code to put in your post and it will show up.  The forum software that we use is very picky about uploading images and making them display correctly.
      If you have any more problems, just PM me or make a thread in the I Need Help area of the forum!
      Andrew Schwinn
      Arrowheads.com Staff

Comment

It does sound like what you have is a pestle. Get a magnifying glass and look at the business end...Depending on the wear patterns you should be able to discern whether it was utilized in a wooden or a stone mortar. Look for a teet like protrusion on the end. If you find one likely it was used with a wooden mortar.
           Nice find!...I expect some ancient shaman used it to work up arcane mixtures that protected his or her people from many ills...

Comment

Working...
        X