Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you finally scored that G-10, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you finally scored that G-10, now what?

We all do it. Bring home a bunch of dirty , muddy finds. Tools, points, knives even brokes and flint chips are all finds that keep us on the hunt. When you call it a day and haul that treasure home how do you clean them? Does it depend on the material or personal preference? Soap and water and a soft brush? I’ve even heard of putting artifacts in and oil bath. Just wondering about the different ways folks go about the care and feeding of their finds. Sorry if this has been discussed before but a bump of the subject may be of interest to some of the new folks on the site while the season kicks into high gear.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Soft toothbrush, dab of dishwashing liquid and warm water, scrub a dub….
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Uncle Trav
      Uncle Trav commented
      Editing a comment
      That is my go to cleaning technique. One of my first finds I nearly destroyed the fine edge work by scrubbing to hard. A learning curve is needed I guess.

G10s are hard to come by so extra care needed/ no dropping on sink! Just some water, lemon juice soak if lots of Algae.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Uncle Trav
      Uncle Trav commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve never heard of the lemon juice method. Makes sense though.

General cleaning of any artifacts is of interest. I just used the G-10 as an example for careful cleaning.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Quick rinse in water, maybe a toothbrush if it needs it.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I use the toothbrush and dish soap with a soft folded towel in the bottom of the sink. Because you're going to drop that slippery once in a lifetime point.

Comment

Water, Dawn dish wash and toothbrush. But sometimes Quartz gets a soaking in water, Dawn and white vinegar if the clay is really bad.
          South Carolina

Comment

Depends on the piece, for me....

Dimple stones, shards, cores, hammer stones, etc end up rolling around in the back of my truck and sxs for a while. Eventually accumulated in piles, all over my property.

Brokens, pooters, random stuff, marbles, buttons, etc don't get washed at all. There's piles of that stuff all over my house. At some point, Mrs Mailman gets fed up and fills ziploc bags with it. These bags then end up down in my basement....

Nice brokens and average field grade stuff receive a light soap and toothbrush treatment. Then put in containers and boxes. Also ends up in my basement.

A piece that I really like will go into a display case. If it's a bird point, or average piece and has algae/creek stain/caliche on it, It will soak for a few hours in vinegar or lemon juice deluted 50/50 with water. If it's a smoker G10, I don't do that. I leave them how I found them. The G10 killer is gonna get soap, water, LIGHT toothbrush and straight into a display case. I keep a couple cases upstairs. The rest... end up in the basement, lol. My basement is a Black Hole of artifacts 🤦‍♂️
            Western Kentucky

Comment

Good thread Trav. I can't add to what's been suggested. K
              Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Agreed with all above…just emphasize again doing so over towel or carpet.
                Witnessed my brother crack a smoker in half on his kitchen tile floor!!!
                Flint
                northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

Working...
                X