Plains war club?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plains war club?

Purchased a "plains" war hammer recently but upon further research I've seen 5 others close to what I have they where labeled Australian aboriginal war hammer but the dealer said they have been mislabeled, the other one I seen was on a forum and he was told by multiple people plains not Australian. The gentleman I got this one from said it came from a collection in Montana and has been in the family as far back as anyone living can remember and that's been 150+ yrs they've been in that area. Anyone here pretty knowledgeable about plains indians and could possibly verify for me?! Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

I'm interested to see where this goes.

What is that handle made out of?

I have no idea where it's from or how old it is but it looks pretty cool.

Comment

• DMUDGE442
      DMUDGE442 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's wood believe it has rawhide with a resin coating

I can say that I have never seen a "Plains War Club" or hammer that looks like the one pictured.

Comment

May be difficult to authenticate this based on pictures, but the patina does look old. Hopefully someone has more knowledge. Your best source of information is probably your family and what they know about it’s origin.
      South Dakota

Comment

I did find this and it's pretty similar with the wrapped head so maybe I'm onto something lol

Comment

Honestly I have no clue but I do think similar tools or artifacts made on opposite sides of the planet are likely because we are all pretty much the same with similar needs. In the end all you’re ever going to have is the family story. Backing the story up with a testament on paper and some old family photos with someone holding the club would be nice to keep along with the artifact.

Von

Comment

Working...
          X