Resharpen Much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resharpen Much?

There is an excellent MeatEater video recently released about Clovis tools being used to cut up a buffalo.
    3 seasoned hunters work the critter while a team of archaeologists take notes and sharpen tools.
    Takeways…
    1. Astonishing how often tools NEED resharpened.
    2. Flakes are seemingly vital to the process.
    3. Large tools for large bones were a must.
    4. My favorite…stone tools can do a job comparable to modern. All users thought it would be far more difficult.

Check it out!
    Flint Eastwood
    northwestern Pennsylvania

“On a late September day in Montana, a group of my colleagues and I here at MeatEater collaborated with a team of archeologists to butcher a bison using an I...

Comment

Really, really interesting! It's easy to see now, why points are always resharpened to death near the tops, as the bottoms were hafted. What this also tells me, is that you could only use the resharpened points so many times before you had to make a whole new point. There has to be millions and millions of knives and points out there not yet discovered, because of how many times you'd have to make a new point every so often during the butchering process.

If I would have known that I could have had flint knapping for a job, I wouldn't be working where I'm at currently.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Agreed! Look how many tools they went through during a single butchering process.
        If memory serves me correctly…they broke a couple as well.

Comment

Very interesting research.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I like this, that is how research should be done. I skinned a rabbit with a freshly made chert flake one time and the flake was sharper then a knife. Thanks Marshall.
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Very good video. I liked when the guy said "I'm frustrated because it's a big ole bison. Not because of the stone tools."
              Western Kentucky

Comment

• Flint Eastwood
                Flint Eastwood commented
                Editing a comment
                Leave it to Mailman to find the first class one liners!

• Mailman
                Mailman commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week

Saw a good lecture the other night at the Houston Archaeology Society meeting, about updated studies on Clovis. This fella was from TARL and he was in charge of updating the Clovis Point Survey around the country. I forgot his name, and I'm sure you can get a look at it on Youtube. (HAS meeting 05/18/2023)
              His idea is that they were used primarily as knives.
              FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Working...
              X