What is this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this??

Hello! I’m new to this, and recently found this in an old stream in WV while we were swimming. The land used to be inhabited by Mound Builders, and has a lot of Native American history found! I was told it’s definitely chert, but it’s rare for the location I found it in because the closest deposit is 2 hours away by car… Not sure if it’s an arrowhead, a micro tool, or nothing….

Welcome from Michigan. Looks like a waste flake from tool manufacturing. It was then utilized as a down and dirty scraper which would have multiple uses. In the shape it may have been altered to be hafted for more aggressive use. Nice find.
    Last edited by Uncle Trav; 06-05-2023, 06:35 AM.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Looks like a thumb scraper to me. 😊👍
      South Carolina

Comment

I do believe it can be a base of a drill, Many times the base isn't symmetrical or perfectly shaped, and I see an area that may have had the drill shaft sticking out of it.

Good eye.
        FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll have to keep my eye out for that concept . You know my chip deal . Pick to many up .

It doesn't appear to be a finished tool However it is an ancient artifact. Keep hunting that spot.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Welcome from West Central Florida👋👋👋🇺🇸
          Floridaboy.

Comment

Working...
          X