Banded slate??? Ohio river valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banded slate??? Ohio river valley

Does anyone else find banded slate way up on the banks in places it shouldn’t be?? I found this piece today in a place loaded with burnt up campfire rocks.
    Attached Files

I to find this and other fancy rock in camp site hot spots call me crazy but I think they use them like landscape rocks or something they definitely brought them up there from the river some have work some don't or maybe they plan to use them and don't .kind of like are projects we never get to

Comment

That’s what I’m beginning to think

Comment

All the time in Indiana. Usually in this “iron” shape with a flat bottom, a long narrow end and a few other common characteristics. I was never sure if it was something, but always suspicious. Slate might’ve been one of those materials you want to keep on hand for use in different projects, I’d guess. It has some nice properties, like being soft enough to shape without taking a year, for applications where hardness isn’t the most important factor. We only know of a few applications, but what would someone with creativity think to do with such a material?

Do you ever find them in this shape? I was thinking about starting a post about it, but it really just looks like a rock… but then saw your post. I still think it could be a rock, maybe just a common shape they get weathered into. But all have been just up from water, so hmmm.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BoilerMike; 08-08-2023, 10:58 AM.
        Central Indiana

Comment

I find banded slate in every shape, but mostly oblong and thin around 1 inch thick. If you really think about it, if your whole life revolves around stone and stone tools any rock you found that would have a current or future use you’d pick up or make a mental note on where it was located.

Comment

I've noticed that, too.

#BBN
            Western Kentucky

Comment

Working...
            X