Question about flaking techniques.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about flaking techniques.

I know parallel flaking can also be oblique parallel. Can transverse flaking also be oblique?

Joe Roy, your words are more than I can muster, I still catch myself after 6 years in this hobby identifying point by shape, then go back later and realize the flaking doesn't categorize. But if I find out I will get back to you on my discoveries. Need Cliff or Neanderthal, they know that stuff off the top of their head.

Comment

ksrocks wrote:

I know parallel flaking can also be oblique parallel. Can transverse flaking also be oblique?
      If the oblique(angled)flaking goes all the way across the point (tranverse), then yes, the transverse is oblique.

Comment

Thanks Cliff for your answer. Have a find I will post would appreciate your opinion on flaking type. Will post shortly joe>

Comment

Sorry took so long to post pics. having trouble with camera. Think a lot of this point is missing and don't have another with this type flaking. Thanks for any comments joe! Whats left here is little over 2 inch. long, ideas on point type without base.

Comment

WOW!  Nuff said!!!!

Comment

Is that an allen?? Incredible flaking!!!

Comment

Don't know Mark found on river this week, allen, dalton of some kind? Wanted some opinions.

Comment

The base is dinged up but looks like it could have been?! GREAT find!

Comment

Had to dig the book out for this one. Could have been a dalton too. MAN!! That is a true HEARTBREAKER!!! Still very cool find! Mark.

Comment

Just a guess on my part but I think there is at least 2 inch. if not more missing on this point base. What your looking at is broken point not base?? What you think?

Comment

Said base dinged up, couldnt tell by pic. it was a half. Who knows.. could have been 2-4 inchs longer?!

Comment

Yes Mark know what your saying, maybe only 1 inch longer but don't think so. Who knows, have you got anything flaked like that? Would love to see if you do.

Comment

Know this is not in-situ thread but this is tues. this week on the river spring is coming :cheer:

Comment

I dont have anything flaked like that! Got a couple with parallel flaking but not that nice. Mark.

Comment

Working...
                              X