Hematite Ohio river

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hematite Ohio river

Does anyone that walks the Ohio river find hematite tools or polished paint stones? I never find anything made or hematite and some guys I watch on YouTube that live in Ohio and West Virginia find tons of it along the Ohio river.

I have not personally, but my dad found a bell pestle made of hematite in Jefferson Co KY, South Louisville.

Comment

Also, a friend of mine found a hematite bell pestle in Bullitt Co KY, which adjoins Jefferson Co KY.

Comment

I have not found any work hematite on the banks but have found it in the Fields by the river hunting is weird next time you go will find something like that 🤞

Comment

Your probably right.

Comment

I can't help you on the Ohio but I have found a coupled pieces that were definitely scraped for Ocher. K
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

I have not discovered any industrial hematite on the riverbanks, but I have discovered it in the fields adjacent to the river. Compared to knapping, grinding is a tedious process. The Caddo gave the hematite the approximate form they desired by "pecking" it with a harder rock with a natural or fractured point, such as a chisel.

[Hidden spam link removed by Moderator]
              Last edited by painshill; 09-11-2023, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X