Concreation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concreation

How to remove concretion from a point? I have 1 that had been laying on a layer of it and now its really stuck on good.

Vinegar soak then rinse w water

Comment

Caliche is calcium carbonate that builds up on the surface of rock . It can be safely removed with a vinegar soak.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks, will be doing it tonight

Comment

Here's before and after a 24 hour vinegar soak to remove calcium buildup.

Comment

• Fla.Hillbilly
            Fla.Hillbilly commented
            Editing a comment
            Guess mine will take longer. Much thicker than that. Up to a 1/4" in places.

• Dave P
            Dave P commented
            Editing a comment
            Let us know how it turns out.

• Fla.Hillbilly
            Fla.Hillbilly commented
            Editing a comment
            Vinegar didnt do much. Had to resort to something a bit stronger. 2 days in CLR and still had to work at it.

You may have to refresh the vinegar as its acidic properties weaken as it dissolves the calcium carbonate into solution. If yours is thick, it may need several.

Comment

I have never been a fan of removing natural occurring concretions. It shows the age better.
            FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

I have used shrimp cocktail sauce (any brand) with great success. Cheap is what I use.
              To remove the black scum that many of our pieces get around here. It works great. From a couple hours to a couple days. Depends upon the thickness of the scum. It can be used on a stiff brush too.
              But it does not seem to take away concretions. I have some "test pieces" to test out the vinegar.
              Thanks. Great tip.

v fm

Comment

Working...
              X