Fire-cracked rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire-cracked rock

Fire-cracked rock is usually reddish in color, isn't it? At least partially reddish, no? Is my area unique in that regard because, no BS, every bit of FCR I've come across has been red. Is it the fire that's turning them red? Do I sound like a crazy person?

Thanks,
    SCG

The rock in our area is usually black. it depends on the rock. I've seen red fire cracked rock here n there in our area... but ours are usually black. if thats what your seeing it's probably the rock type.
    Utah

Comment

Here FCR is red or reddish-orange...just north of Kansas City, MO

Lots of quartz/quartzite

vfm

Comment

The FRC around here, (Texas Hill Country) tends to be shades of gray. We have no FRC around me as I'm on the coastal prairie and there is no rock whatsoever.
        FRC can be seen as small incidental groupings or scattered rock broken into right angles by the heat, to large piles left by the people who made and dug up the ovens.
        Pictures are from TAS Field School/ 2022/Kerrville, Texas Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	4.02 MB
ID:	706929 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0466.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	706930 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	706931 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0510.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	706932 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	706933
        FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

There is a sandstone formation in parts the state and if that’s the rock yes it is red or orange for sure . Heating makes it brittle and turn colors

Comment

Here in Pa FCR is red with other hue's depending on the minerals in the rock. The red color is from the iron in the rock. The heat from fire brings out the red iron color. A lot depends on the area of the country you hunt as some rock has very little iron content. K
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for filling me in everybody!

Comment

The hearthstones I find in one field tend to be reddish from the fire. Not best photos, but here’s an example. This has been the case at other sites where hearthstones have turned up as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2891.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	707005
                You can see one side showing effects of fire more than other portions. There’s a chunk broken out, not seen in photo, but likely caused by the heat, and it’s brittle, probably sandstone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2892.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	707006

Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                X