Is this a hafted spokeshave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a hafted spokeshave?

I recently found this spokeshave (if it is not, please correct me on this), in North Texas, Denton County, and I am wondering if that the worked area circled in the first photo was done to haft it. It also could be that they were planning on thinning the entire piece, but stopped at that point for whatever reason. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	363512028_1030644478174397_3072389172069634554_n.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	531.0 KB
ID:	710457 Click image for larger version

Name:	370099431_1438276460089422_4645862199038597093_n.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	557.2 KB
ID:	710455 Click image for larger version

Name:	377147637_714377773957253_212217468203587953_n.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	710459
    Attached Files

The curved section looks like it may have worked as a spokeshave. But I don’t believe that it was hafted. Since the bulb of percussion is on the opposite face and opposite side(length wise) of that hinge fracture, it looks like they removed the hinge fracture by flaking from the opposite side of the biface with an overshot flake. Overshot flaking was one method used for removing stacks. I think that hinge fracture was coincidental, but that doesn’t mean the flake wasn’t utilized.

Comment

In other words its very likely that the hinge fracture was made before the entire flake was originally detached, I don’t think it was for hafting in this case.

Comment

SPOKESHAVES What is a Spokeshave? The term is used generically to describe stone tools found from all time periods which have a distinctive semi-circular

Comment

• Mattern
          Mattern commented
          Editing a comment
          Great Link Jon I hadn't read that. Kim

• Jon E. Busch
          Jon E. Busch commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes he did a very informative thread imo Kman.

Originally posted by Bushman B View Post
        In other words its very likely that the hinge fracture was made before the entire flake was originally detached, I don’t think it was for hafting in this case.
        That makes sense. I often look at the features as if they were all intended for the design of the finished piece. I need to remember the work done before the tool was made. Thank you.

Comment

• Bushman B
          Bushman B commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Lee, no problem, just trying to help 🤷🏻‍♂️ It’s always a process trying to make sense of work that was done possibly thousands of years ago. A lot of figuring out to be done and no voice from the past to correct us when our interpretation ventures. Either way, that is a really nice flake and you’re hunting a good area where you found that, I really like the patina on that one. The more that you handle artifacts and study them, including flakes, the more sense you can make from them with less to go on 👍🏼

Hi Lee, I have to put in my two cents. Spoke shaves - A used spoke shave is generally in shape of a half moon. The edges of this crescent are smooth from repeated use. The edges on your piece are jagged and not indicative of a normal Spoke Shave. Or it was made but just wasn't used. Just my opinion. Kim
        Last edited by Mattern; 11-28-2023, 12:44 PM. Reason: correction
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

I agree 100% with Bushman. It may have been used as a spokeshave, however the broken off area is coincidental.
          FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Working...
          X