Phallus artifact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phallus artifact?

I have acquired several good arrowheads and spear points from a local older man. He has personally collected these for many years and has documented where they came from (all locally). My question is this. He has an indian artifact that I am not familiar with. It looks like a hard stone (granite?) shaped like a phallus approx 7-8" long. The shape includes the penis and testicles. I have read and heard a little about these but this is the only one I have actually seen. It is in good condition w/no tractor marks or breaks. Any information and value of this would be appreciated.

Hi Ben
    Well, phallus effigy pestles are found all over North America and into Canada. Phallus effigies produced as such (sometimes just the glans of the penis) - without intentional use as a tool - are mostly associated with coastal California cultures, where they're often found in deliberate burials cached with other ceremonial items. But I don't recall seeing one with testicles in either case.
    I don't think anyone can sensibly give you a view on what you have without some decent pictures. Can we have a look? The other items too, perhaps.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
    X