OPINION ON FIELD FORM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPINION ON FIELD FORM

OK guys maybe this is a little off the wall but is there a form, like an artifact sheet or layout of some sort for general information like an archie would use. Does anyone know of one or ever used one before. I am thinking like on a dig or something where you find multiple artifacts. Maybe sounds to crazy, but I thought I would ask. Bill

I love off the wall stuff Bill..Hey!! Im back....You mean like bullentin of the ( whatever state) Archeological society books?...Ive always found my own sites..what we need is vast land to start with..New Mexico was perfect..anyway..As far as documentation on sites?...My experiance has been others trying to get my sites documentated...My sites?...between me and the earth...jon

Comment

Hey Jon good to see you buddy, no I don't want to register a site, I am just wondering like a sheet similar to a archie form to document stuff in the field as you find it like on a dig where you are finding multiple artifacts. Me and the Earth have some sites of our own my friend. I don't want recognition, I just want organization and info sheet. Could do it afterwards or probably make up one of my own, just seeing if any of you guys have a format you use-Bill

Comment

Understood Bill...You want to documentate professionally...Very Good...Hey guys is there any kinda of form we do it right with?...

Comment

I don't know Bill I document all my finds in just my personal logs and notes with drawings and locations. Nothing professional just the way I record my finds. Jon welcome back friend have not heard much from you, hope all is well Joe.

Comment

Hope all is well with you to buddy..I know that its titious work escavating a dinosaur site..Try googleing escavate bill..

Comment

Aw ite, that means ok in central plains jargon will check that out Jon. Probably way over my head though, you still in texas?

Comment

Still here leaving for NM in August..Whew! gotta get in shape for getting back to those sites that have been waiting awhile for me..

Comment

You got a good 5 months of hunting there in Texas yet, be waiting on some good pics. joe.

Comment

Funny I was thinking the same..I seen what you found...

Comment

Aint found much Jon, this time last year had twice the finds than this year. Lot more snow and cold weather this year, hell bet you had record snow fall this year uh! Strange weather this year.

Comment

Yea we did..The earth still kicking,,

Comment

Hey Bill - I had the same question but never asked it until I was hunting with a friend who is mountain hiker.  He had his GPS with him which was loaded with a Geo mapping program that allowed him to set POINTS where we found stuff.  When we got back home we could download that map onto my computer in a geo map and bingo - had a printable document of where my finds were.  The GPS device isn't too expensive but the Geographic mapping program was a little hefty.  I'm still giving it some thought as I already have a GPS (Walmart - Garmin 1100 was $94) and the mapping program is about $100 but I can also use it in any US Park or lake.  Sri bout the rambling answer. ---Chuck
                          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Thanks Chuck, might check into that. I keep a journal for both purchased and found artifacts. Just thinking about doing a dig this year and thought if you get a point where you are finding multiple artifacts (possibly wishful thinking) be nice to have a paper to fill out during discovery-Bill

Comment

Bill - I talked with a professional archaeologist who's with the National Park Service and he gave me a few pointers about digging or excavating a site.  He recommended using a grid system (Number -and- Ltr grids for location identification)to overlay the site or the specific digging area.  Then photograph each find in-situ, if possible, then bag some of the dirt immediately touching the artifact to help with dating the artifact.  Also document the depth of the find.  Need to be sure you can correlate the artifact with the dirt.  I got some little plastic zip baggies from walmart that I can write on with permanent ink.  To start I used line like kite line and set up a grid by driving stakes at 12" intervals along the sides and ends of the site.   I took a photo of this overlay in place then removed the grid.  I downloaded the photo to my computer then I Lettered one side and Numbered one in the photo.  Now I can pinpoint the location of any find and correlate it to the artifact and dirt sample.  Sounds hard but actually it isnt. ---Chuck
                              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
                              X