Questions on old campfires or fire pits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on old campfires or fire pits

Came across something unusual. It looks like really large pieces of pottery though I wasn't aware the local tribes had ever made anything that big. Right beside the pieces are several pieces of burnt wood and charcoal littering the ground. This is beside a creek and near where I found an arrowhead a few years ago. I'm just wondering though is it even possible for charcoal to survive that long on the surface or would remnants of an old fire pit have disintegrated by now? I've only heard of fire pits being unearthed under mud or inside caves and never exposed on surface to the weather. Just wondering if I found anything or if I'm getting excited over nothing.

Do you have some pictures of what you are talking about?    Gary
    South Dakota

Comment

Yes I did make several. Give me a little while to upload off my camera card and see if any are good enough to post. Thanks.

Comment

The is best of the burnt wood photos. I was more interested in getting pictures of what looked like pottery. Just not sure what to make of this. I am not an experienced artifacts hunter, just a metal detectorist and rock collector.

Comment

That does not look old to me.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I've got to agree with Hoss, looks very recent.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Okay thanks. Was worth a shot since I found what look like pottery right beside it. Seem to make sense to me since I found an arrowhead a few yards away. Guess its all nothing.

Comment

No it is something! Just that charred wood is not old looking. Lets see what the clay looks like? How big? You know they did daub mud into holes in shelters and it baked and looked like clay blobs. Don't feel as if we are down on this just because the charred wood does not look that old. We would also love to see the arrowhead.
                thanks for sharing. sorry if my comment made you uncomfortable but it was just my honest opinion.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Considered pieces might be from clay water pipe but can't find pics of any made like this. Did find out Catawbas made thick pottery similar line at the edge. The arrowhead is broken but here's the pic I made with my phone when I found it.
                  PS: I should add a village was excavated by university about 4 miles from this location.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Arrowhead 01 [replaced].jpg
Views:	56
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	215687

Comment

Hard to tell by the pic, but those pieces look modern. Definitely part of a point though. Maybe you need to take a leaf blower with you!
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

A bit blurry on the point photo, but it might be a busted point. Looks like it might have been a corner notch. The pottery does look modern.
                      The fact that the pieces are partially laying atop the leaves suggest fairly recent I think.
                      Rhode Island

Comment

Keep checking out that creek,  and I bet you find more points.  The odds that you found
                        the only one that was there would be extremely high.  Good luck.     
                        Gary
                        South Dakota

Comment

That looks like pieces from old water or sewer pipe that was used before PVC. I believe it was called clay tile pipe.

Comment

Working...
                          X