newton falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newton falls

I was wondering if this looks like a newton. I never hear of them here. I found this in central ohio in 2001.

Not sure what to call that one. I find similar ones o hat around here ,one state over, my friends and I have debated type for years. Looks like a real nice cornernotch,call it a Kirk....LOL :laugh:

Comment

The one we just gave away in the autism raffle was described to me as a Newton Falls.
      I bought it because I like the Otter Creek forms from the North Eastern US. That type the "Newton Falls" reminded me of the Otter Creeks. I cannot really help you for sure on yours but the one I had was more concave in the base..  I like the looks of the flint is it coshocton?
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That looks like it may be a Thebes or a Dovetail, or a Thebes/Dove crossover!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

:laugh: yea, I think they call it a diagonal notch here. it doesnt have a name    I think it was only sharpened once or twice.

Comment

Now that I see the whole point...that's one heck of a find! Here's one I found over here,but WAY smaller!

Nothin compared to your monster bigun!

Comment

Well, a dovetail collector says not dove. The base is ground. Maybe if it was sharpened it might be beveled. I think I saw one in overstreet that has a base like this(newton).

Comment

Awesome piece!! Looks Stilwell to me.

Comment

Wow..Great piece and awesome material.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. guess I can call it a still well, newton falls dove.

Comment

With the slight e-notch, I think it is something from the Ohio thebes/archaic bevel family.  If you picture it with heavy, beveled resharpening, it would look a little more like an Ohio Thebes.  The base is very thin compared to the width (or short, depending on how you look at it.)
                      I'd take it to one of the ASO shows and see what people there say.  It's an exciting piece to collectors of Ohio flint. I'm sure you'll be hounded with offers to buy it, but a many of those guys are a wealth of information.
                      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
                      X