Finding Arrowheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Arrowheads

Can anyone tell me why I would find just a whole bunch of arrowheads on top of the ground? Why would they have walked off and just left them like that? They weren't spread out in a large area, they are all in one place.

Welcome to the forum.  Tell us a little more about how and where you found them.  Give a little
    context.  It would be helpfule to know if you have found other things in this spot.  Sometimes people
    find caches of points,  which means a quantity of them hidden in a spot,  to be retrieved later.  I think most people dig up caches,  and they are rare,  but I suppose some type of erosion may have exposed a cache.  Are they similar types?  I'm sure there are other possibilities as well.  Maybe someone dumped a bunch on the ground to avoid getting arrested by a game warden or something like that.  That is where the context may help with ideas.   
    Gary
    South Dakota

Comment

Are they whole points or broke. Sometimes collectors walk a field and pick up everything then dump some of the broke pieces and flakes they don't want in a pile as they leave.

Comment

You may have found a camp site. Pictures would help. They could be exhausted pieces..Too small to re-sharpen..Or left because they left! War, famine, they had a tough life. And as Gary said they would "Cache" them for later use.

Comment

Working...
        X