Arrowheads of unknown origin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrowheads of unknown origin

I have come to posses two stone arrowheads and they appear to be much too old to be in with my American Indian arrowhead collection. They are approx 8 cm and 9 cm in length and look to be made from a shale or slate. Very fragile, like ceramic. Is there anybody out there that would examine the photographs and provide me with a competent opinion of who might have made them or their origin?

Somewhat crude but us gatherers love even the crude ones we find..shale?..possible ryholyte?...problem is these materials are in many places...I couldnt even guess...whats you guys think?..cmon help us out here...

Comment

Well Charles looking at the shape, the one on the right may be what is known as a Ohio Lanceolate, unfortunately as Jon pointed out the flaking is crude at best. Flaking answers alot in typing points. If it is a crude version of the Lanceolate it would be from the transitional paleo to early archaic period 10,500-8000 B.P.
      The one on the left looks pretty ancient in its own right but is also crudly worked, more than likely used for a knife, but have no idea what type, but does look like it has some grinding at the base as though it may have been hafted. Can't really tell from the pic how thick they are but probably both archaic. Just not that well made unfortunately. Let some others chime in on them Charles but that should give you a start anyhow-Bill

Comment

SP
        I cannot figure out the culture these came out of. Late Paleo to early Archaic maybe based in looking at shape -and- crude flaking. Is the base ground on these.
        Can you show a side pictue so we can see the edge and a end shot. This will help us.
        Jack

Comment

the base is chipped, not ground down.

Comment

Are they from Michigan?

Comment

No clue of the origin, here is the other side.

Comment

I would go with archaic blade.

Comment

100% agree with Jack. Had a couple of blades from a collection from Evart Michigan in Osceola county Michigan that are same looking material. In fact the one on the left is a dead ringer for one of them. Weird! Never Know for sure what material it was but guessed rhyolite. Mark.

Comment

Working...
                  X