Worth restoring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth restoring?

This piece is probably my biggest heartbreaker, although it is still a nice point as is in my opinion. Its pretty colorful and has a nice bulls eye, so I was wondering if it might be worth restoring. I don't know anything about restoration of artifacts, so I was hoping someone could enlighten me a little. Would it be cost effective to restore it? I don't plan on selling any of my finds, but was curious how restoration might affect the value of a piece. There are two small breaks on this one, which I have tried to show in the pictures.

Hi Eddie,
       That is a nice heartbreaker! I'd be happy finding that (in rhyolite from NC).
      I think that it would probably cost you about $50 to have those two places restored. It appears that the material has some translucence, thus the price. Unfortunately, after restoration I do not think it would bring more than around $50- so it may not be very cost effective to have the work done.
    I'd leave it as is in my frame, then keep on hunting that site to find his brothers!

Comment

i have had two pieces restored, a redstone and a clovis.  like you i have no  interest in selling anything. Dennis Bushey did my restorations and i was well pleased with a quick return on job. Dennis Bushey 360 Co. Rd. 1535 Cullman, AL 35058 is his adress and (256) 796-0555 is his number. It took me a lil bit to find his card. I met him at ky lake rock show and he was a very plesent man, and i would recomend him for sure. these are pics of what he did for me.  the piece in center is whole, took it to artifact show to get some input on type. i cant remeber for sure but i paid around 140 bucks for both pieces.  as for value of piece after restoration i cant help i dont buy or sell. i hope this will help ya. that is a nice piece you found and i bet you wouldnt regret getting it restored

Comment

I am mixed on restoration. I have not done it, and most likely wont. Yeah perfect points in a case look great, but the ones I find that are perfect I worked hard to find. I have several points that are perfect candidates for restoration, but each one has its own unique look, with its flaws. Natural, I still can tell how they would look, and I do not buy or sell as well, so I like seeing them as they were found. Just my 2 cents worth.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful information guys!
          Cliff,
          Thanks for the estimates on having some work done. I think you are probably right, it is not very cost effective to have the work done. It would be more for personal enjoyment I guess, but I will probably just leave it as is. I will definitely let you know if I find any of its kinfolk laying in the creek!
          Kurt,
          Thanks for the contact information and photos. I'll probably not restore this one, but might find something one day more worthy to have fixed. Dennis really did a fantastic job restoring your points though. They are awesome pieces and look great restored!!!
          Chase,
          Its nice to hear a different viewpoint on restoration. I guess some things might be worth restoring, but it is cool to find things as they are, flaws and all. They give the piece character and can certainly make you wonder about its history! I plan to give all my finds to my daughter one day, so I was just curious if restoring something like this would enhance the value if it ever got sold in the future. I hope she will keep them all and pass everything along to my granddaughter though!

Comment

Cliff is pretty close to an estimate for restoration. As Kurt said, Bushey is a good one and I have used him a couple of times. However if I were  to do it again, I would use Dr. Gomer. It really is a mater of personal choice but as nice as your point is, I probably wouldn't choose to do so on it. By the way, Gomer does free estimates if you send him a pic. He also does before and after pics for you.
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I recently had Dr Gomer restore a partial charmstone I found. I guess I wanted my cake and to eat it to, so feeling like I wanted to BOTH keep and remember what I had found in the condition I found it AND ALSO wanting to enjoy the piece as I believe it was originally created, at my request Dr Gomer restored it with an obviously different color stone on his work. So what I found is still there the way I found it, but the full shape is now also obvious. It's the compromise that made sense to me. Just another option...

Comment

Ray,
                Thanks for the info! I'll hang onto Dr. Gomer's name as well in case I might need it in the future. It sounds like he does great work too.
                Ken,
                Thank you for your thoughts on restoration. I never thought that far ahead as to if I had something restored, how I would feel about not seeing it in its "original" condition again. That's a pretty good idea though about using different colored material to distinguish the old and new parts. Seems like a good compromise!

Comment

Cost as much as its worth or more then as overstreets book say decreases value.
                  I would be happy with it as is but if it makes you feel less heart broken go for it.
                  http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
                  X