Ceremonial Pieces???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceremonial Pieces???

Hello everyone. I didn't find these, but these are in a collection that I inherited from my uncle. As far as I know they were all found in central Illinois, Fulton county to be precise. Unfortunately, that's all the info I know of them. I was told they were more than likely ceremonial pieces. Thought I would share and get your opinions! I'm thinking whoever made the one on the left must have modeled after a deer possibly, because those sure look like antlers to me. Hope you enjoy!

Hi, I don't believe they are ceremonial but instead they are what is called eccentric pieces. Excuse my spelling. But very nice anyway

Comment

I would agree with John....What are the size of the pieces.?
      I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

The one on the left is about 2 1/2 to 3" long.  Thanks guys.

Comment

Most of those that I have seen are rechipped old pieces.  Someone years ago found an older piece with a ding, and then rechipped it to make an eccentric.  There are some authentic examples, but typically they don't look like those.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I beleive Clovisoid is correct.
            Eccentrics were indeed made by several cultures across the continent
            but these two you have were fashioned by someone after the fact.
            If you do have other points show them off.
            We will not try to miss-lead you in any way. Our opinions are as truthful as we can be.
            If your points are authentic we will let you know. If they have been retouched in modern times well
            we will tell you how we can tell.
            For example, these two "ceremonial" points still have something ribbed into the fracturing.
            This is a trick used to hide the obvious re-chipping.
            Hope this does not deter you from allowing us to help you in your efforts to understand just what you have.
            Jess B.
            It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
            Circa:1982

Comment

Don't tell me Dalton. Anyhow Welcome!
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

You might be right.  I have always wondered if they might be real, especially the one on the left.  I dont really follow, what leads you to believe they are not real by the pictures?  My grandfather probably doesn't remember where, what, when found, but he always said they were ceremonial pieces.  So who really knows....  I have my beliefs and doubts.  Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X