Point found today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point found today.

First one found today and second found a couple years back was wondering what types they are.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-06-04 [replaced].jpg
Views:	100
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	211903

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-06-04-2 [replaced].jpg
Views:	153
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	211904

Found in Kentucky btw

Comment

Not sure on the first one, is the base ground? Second one looks like a Thebes. Nice finds!

Comment

Top one looks like woodland corner notch. Bottom looks like early archaic corner notch possibly lost lake, or Thebes perhaps.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Yes base is ground on first one. I was thinking the second one was a Thebes wasn't sure tho its left side beveled.

Comment

Second one may be a small Dovetail.

Comment

I was thinking the first one may be a small dovetail also.

Comment

Is it weird that on the second one that its beveled on the left side but seems more serrated on the right side?

Comment

Also found this blade/scraper yesterday idk check it out the bottom side has about a quarter inch taken off from the tip to the middle of the piece. Any ideas welcome on what it is.

Comment

Wow just noticed this after posting the blade/scraper I believe it was hafted there are indentions on each side of the top right where the bottom dips in the quarter inch.

Comment

JMHO, but that first point looks like a Kirk corner-notched. The other point resembles a Pine Tree. The scraper is very similar to Type I/Type III hafted end scrapers as described by J. Coe (1964) and R,Daniel(1996). These scrapers are presumed to have been hafted into a hollow handle, such as bone, antler or wood. They are associated with Paleo and early Archaic cultures.
                      Nice finds! Thanks for showing them to us!

Comment

A couple of nice ones Champ. I think probably Kirk and Lost Lake.
                        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I would agree with Truett on the point types. The first one looks like a Kirk and the second appears to be a Pinetree, especially with the little serrations. That's just my opinion though. I've found a few Pinetrees here in KY and the bases can resemble Doves and Kirks, so sometimes they are tough to ID. Nice finds though!

Comment

Appreciate everyone's input thanks a lot guys!

Comment

I'll just add that they are very nice.  Thanks for showing us.  Gary
                              South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                              X