Star Pebble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Pebble

I found this pebble while canoeing in Sugar Creek, in the state park of Turkey Run. It has a star engraved on both sides. I've tried to find info about it on the net with no luck, ended up on this site tonight. What do you think?

Welcome to the forum

It's a segment from a fossilised crinoid columnal. Although often called "sea lillies" because they may grow in forms that look plant-like, they are marine animals related to sea urchins. They have "stems" more correctly called "pluricolumnals" which are made up of disc-like segments that may split apart after fossilisation. Like these:

[Picture from Universitu of Maryland Dept of Geology website]

The columnals are hollow and usually fill in during fossilisation, but can be eroded afterwards to leave either a circular or pentagonal hole (depending on species). The separated discs are also known as "Indian beads" since there are instances of them being used for that purpose, but they are common fossils to be found in the thousands in many marine deposits with no connection to such use.

Having said that, yours has a remarkable degree of polishing and has either experienced considerable water tumbling or has been delibarately polished for decorative use. Difficult to say which from a photograph and without context.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Hey binsbug3, Painshill is spot on. I will show an example in natural matrix that I picked up by the river. Also I have bead strands of these fossils. Your specimen is very nice how it was polished.

Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thank you guys very much! I've had it for awhile now and always wondered what exactly it was! I appreciate all the info 

Comment

Crinoids are cool! I love the crinoid "bead" strand Ron Kelley posted. Now that's my kind of jewelry!

Comment

Working...
          X