For Roger,bone2stone or any other fossil inclined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Roger,bone2stone or any other fossil inclined

Here are a couple things Someone is asking about. From Missouri.

http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Here's my best guess on the first one. I googled "lace bryozoan"....
    Getty Images. Find high resolution royalty-free images, editorial stock photos, vector art, video footage clips and stock music licensing at the richest image search photo library online.

There are trace fossils of waves, but I don't know if that's what you have.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Clearer image, Josh, if that's what it is. I thought bryozoan immediately, but Roger or Jesse know best....
      Reticulate bryozoan known as lace coral fenestella. Millions of premium Stock photos and illustrations created by leading commercial photographers, world-famous Museums, Historical Archives and Private Collections. Image ID: 01AR4RUQ

Rhode Island

Comment

Yes, I would agree on both counts. The first one looks like a bryozoan of some kind. I don’t see any sub-branching, so it’s likely to be an encrusting form not a fan-form. Despite the plant-like appearance, these are (non-extinct) colonial animals related to corals and exist in both freshwater and marine environments.
        The second item exhibits ripple marks in something sedimentary. When they’re relatively symmetrical, it’s usually the result of a two-way current as you might get in a beach environment when there is swash and backwash from wave action.

Ripplemarks in a biosparite/grainstone (Carmel Formation, Middle Jurassic, near Gunlock, Utah) – picture by Mark A. Wilson (Department of Geology, The College of Wooster). Public domain.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

so that is where my eastwing went to!
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Sorry I came in so late to post a response.
            Yeah Roger is right.
            These are as he spelled out.
            Jess B.
            BTW: I have been working towards a goal of cataloging my collection and
            displaying it in a manner that will please my wife.
            She is a little overwhelmed by having my fossils displayed everywhere. In the house anyway.
            She referrers to our home as a dusty old museum.
            It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
            Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
            X