Trilobite Death Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trilobite Death Plate

This is a slab of Deschambault Formation limestone from Quebec, Canada. It dates to the late Ordovician Period, or very roughly 450 million years ago. Two types of trilobites are preserved. By itself on the far right is an example of Ceraurus pleurexanthmus. There is a 2nd example of this type on the far left lying alongside the 2nd type of trilobite on the plate, an example of Flexicalymene senaria lying on its' back. See closeup. There are a total of 6 Flexicalymene on the plate, 4 on their backs, one right side up and a partially enrolled example on the left edge of the plate. Trilobites were my first love and this plate has been in my collection for about 25 years now. What looks like a long tail extending down from the trilo top center is actually the stem of a cystoid, a crinoid-like critter that attached itself to the seafloor by its' stem. The head, or crown, of the cystoid is crushed beneath the trilo. The trilobites are all in the 1/14" to 1/12" range.

Rhode Island

Very, very nice Charlie.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

painshill wrote:

Very, very nice Charlie.
        Agree with Roger.  Without a doubt, totally amazing.

Comment

Super example Charlie. Thanks for sharing. Ray
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Cool plate Charlie! Seen a show on travel channel (search for cash and treasures) and there is a spot in Montana or Wyoming?? were you pay by the day to bust open rocks looking for Trilobites. On my bucket list after I win the lottery!  :lol:

Comment

Roger, Pam, Ray, Mark, thank you all for your kind words. Mark, the state you're thinking of is Utah. There are 2 places near Delta, Utah, where you can pay to collect trilobites:
            At U-Dig Fossils we want you to have a unique and rewarding experience in our quarry. Come find and keep your own fossil trilobites in Delta, Utah. Book now!

I've been to Utah, but not these dig sites. If my wife and I ever get out that way again, we'll have to cross it off our own bucket lists.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Yup! Thats the one. Even mentions the show in the add. I was only a state or two off!

Comment

Very nice, does anyone have a Troglidite fossile?
                Jack

Comment

Cool!
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice fossils Charlie! Thanks for sharing.
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Very cool Charlie, I always had a fascination with fossils as a kid but never found any.....figured I was just in the wrong part of the country.Thanks for showing that very cool example!!
                      Southern Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                      X