Petrified Wood or Something Else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrified Wood or Something Else

A friend of mine picked this up off the shore of Dale Hollow Lake when we were boating on day and just remembered it today. I'm not sure what it is but thought someone might know.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0292.JPG Views:	1 Size:	86.1 KB ID:	326755 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0291.JPG Views:	1 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	326756 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0293.JPG Views:	1 Size:	92.1 KB ID:	326757
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

That's a beautiful piece of petrified wood!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks KP - Wasn't sure. I've seen petrified wood before it just didn't look like this. Appreciate ya

im not sure of that being pet wood

lots of cherts have that bullseye pattern to it,plus the cortex doesnt look like pet wood to me either
    but once again,what do i know

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure either because that outer part looks like core material and the lighter/darker material seriously resembles chert.

It looks like a fossil...is petrified wood considered a fossil since a tree is a living thing?
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Red - Check out my post below to answer your question - also go on our Forum "Fossils, Old Bones, and Teeth."

Red - I've posted this before and our members may be getting tired of seeing it but it's the best example I can give you of a fossilized tree part.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0294.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	326795

Name:	DSC_0295.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	326796
    My neighbor plowed this up in his field and brought it to me. We find them laying on top of the ground as well here on the mountain. This is a 300 Million year old root from a Lycopsid tree. It's a bit before our time but it is definitely a fossile. It weighs in at a little over 3 and a half pounds.

Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Chuck that answers my question just fine ... If it was living-- fossil....not living---rock...but if this piece here is agatized Like Bruce said agate? And what BA said makes sense....that root is cool ..thanks for the reply .. and I did go on the fossils thread. Informative...

It may not be gem quality, however I think it might be agate. 🤔🤔🤔
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Bruce - Unless this gets cut and polished, I seriously doubt it would be gem quality. But ya never know.

I don't think it is petrified wood either. That would have been some very rampant growth and extremely thick bark for any tree. The fact that the ring spacing differs so greatly from one side to another in such a short space and that the rings seem to be tapering into somewhat of a dome shape( if that makes sense) would suggest that it is likely a midsection of a chert nodule.. Just my take on it, hope it makes sense.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

I have a large piece outside. I'll take a pic and post it later.

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks KP

Name:	DSC_1367.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	326965 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1368.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	326966

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        That material looks very similar to the bullseye end of the piece I posted. Thanks for taking the time to post it KP. Appreciate ya

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        No problem!
    Working...
    X