Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Else Might Collect Fossils Besides Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Else Might Collect Fossils Besides Me?

I mean rocks are rocks..I collect from reptiles of the permian 400 MYO,to Reptiles of the triassic 180 MYO, to the dinosaurs 65 MYO...You know? creatures before the dinosaurs were considered reptiles not dinosaurs...Seems like to me anything older than a dinosaur....????is dinosaur......Jon This is a Reptile tooth from the triassic period 180 myo and was considered the t-rex of its time..Yes the creatures long before the dinosaurs were quite smaller..

Yep.  This would be another good topic, don't ya think?!?  Or lump fossils in with minerals and crystals....
    Bone Valley, FL

Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Very cool Tom you know? Some of the most beautiful megalodon shark teeth have come from there but now the phosphate mines are closed unh?..Are those shark teeth in those clusters?....Wow very cool.You have shark teeth in their original matrix there in the top picture the bottom picture are horse and mastodon? no thats a partial mammoth tooth from the pleistocene period.

Comment

All those in the top pic are dermal scutes from rays, all found on one "blue pile" at a mine, loaded with phophate pebble and fossils.  Used to be you could wear a hard hat and pay a fee and get into areas, sometimes with clubs, but it's getting almost impossible.
        They claim liability, which we used to gladly sign away.  Main good spots now are only in the Peace river Valley and the little tributaries.  Some shell pits out my way, like Leisey Shell Pit, was World-Class Pleistocene.  It's a lake now.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

I see now..looks like mako shark tooth in that center one..You have a meg from there or a snaggletooth shrk tooth from there?They are some beautiful shark teeth...

Comment

I used to travel to China quite often and when in the north I would drop in the local fossil markets and see what they had. I bought one Hadrosaurus dinosaur egg back. It is now aginst the law to bring them out. It is now owned by my grandson.

Comment

Very Cool Jack you know that is a highly sought after fossil...worth lots of money.

Comment

Heres a snaggletooth shark tooth from Bone Valley..

Comment

Ok guys...I have a question. I have a fossil of some kind of a reptile that was found hundreds of feet down in a underground coalmine. How do I find out what it is and the age? I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.
                  jane

Comment

Ok guys...I have a question. I have a fossil of some kind of a reptile that was found hundreds of feet down in a underground coalmine. How do I find out what it is and the age? I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.
                    jane

Comment

Sorry bout the double exposure. Don't know what caused that.
                      Oh well!

Comment

I collect some fossils, mostly late devonian because they are beyond easy to find in my local area. Not sure if they are worth anything but they are cool to me. I have clams, brachiopods, corals things like that. Trilobites..,

Comment

The devonian sure was a long time ago.....four hundred and seventeen million years ago.Makes you wonder how old the earth could be..

Comment

Scientist generally accept the earth at being 4.55 billion years old, with the oldest actual rocks found dating back to 3.8 to 3.9 billion years ago. 
                            But those dates are assuming that you actually trust the scientists haha

Comment

Thats a long time..Compared to any fossils uncovered..

Comment

Working...
                              X