Here's to the good ole days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's to the good ole days.

I know some of you guys are new to this game of collecting and I guess us old timers have to give way to the new generation. Don't be insulted we all get older and at some time need to step aside.
    A lot of us old timers that have been collecting odds and ends fossils and the like have been there and done that. We have seen some of our favorite sites sold out from under us and now prohibited from exploring them. There have been circumstances that hunt site we were going to for many years inherited by family members and now their grandchildren are hunting them. "I don't want to see you around here again".
    Just try to reason with them, failure was the only recourse.
    Two of my favorite places were: First a Irving/Grand Prairie Tx site.
    I not only found Arrowheads I found fossils coins bottles this place was a pickers paradise!
    It was an old Sand/Gravel pit that had a turn of the century house there where three generations of children grew up lost coins and they allowed several old time resturants to dump there.
    Arrowheads were everywhere.
    I was allowed to look for over a period of 20 years.
    Picking totaled over 2,000 points including several axe heads manos matates trinity stones and a cache of 11 pre archaic preforms the largest of which was 10.75".
    That was an exclusive and I was lovin it!
    It is now an industrial complex never to reveal anything again.
    The second was an area on the coast near Rock Port Tx. Every year my parents would go to Aransas Pass and that gave me the opportunity to get to a place to find Pleistocene Mega fauna fossils.
    Rhino camel mammoth stuff bones every where in every wash.
    The last time I saw the old man he was not in very good health.
    I went to see him again and I was told he had passed away. His grandchildren lived there and I was told in so many words I was not welcome there and if I was seen in the "area" even close to their property the law would be called. I did not ever go near there again.
    So goes the here and now and yes as more people persue fossils and arrowheads the competition gets intense. If you are not there when the tide goes out or as the rain resides all you are going to
    find are the footprints of the more adaptable.
    My stories could fill a book. If you return I will try to post stories about just what I have went through over the past 50+ years.
    Reply as you wish and I will attempt to respond in kind.
    Thanks for checking this out and good day yall.
    Bone2stone(Jessy)
    It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
    It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
    Circa:1982

Great post, Jessy!
    I had a favorite walking site that I walked at least once per week for 27 years, sometimes up to three times per week!  Not only found goodies but got some exercise and just got the heck out of the house and into the sun and air.  When this site was shut down/ruined it really felt like my whole (hobby/collecting) world just ended.  It's been almost two years since the loss.  It's like someone died.  Maybe just part of me. 
    Wahhhhh, damit!!!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

You guys are gonna make me cry...It sickens my heart...My family had a 440 acre place. I never thought of arrowheads as a child even though I knew my grandfather and his brothers would find points in the field as they plowed behind the mules. Now the property has been sold. Thank God they have not (and doesn't look like it will) develop it any time soon. Now I'm going to just have to get in my car, drive out there, meet the new owners, and pray they will let me hunt around. There is a circular mound at one spot on the place, that has been leveled...would love to know if they found anything there or if they even looked! My heart is pounding!!

Comment

Bone2stone wrote:

Here's to the good ole days.   
        Bone2stone(Jessy)
          Good post Jesse ...we have lots in common, lol.
        11KBP

Comment

Jessy, you, "old timers", as you call yourself, are the very heart of soul of this great hobby!  My Dad, now 80, was born and raised in Attica, OH.  He tells stories of the artifacts he found in the mid-late thirties and early forties that astonish me!  Unfortunately, when he joined the military, the boxes and boxes of his finds disappeared from his homestead.  I can only imagine what his collection consisted of, other than what he has told me. 
          I am fortunate that the farmer of the field I hunt allows me to walk his property.  At times, he will even come to greet me and ask me if I have found anything, ask me how I'm doing, and is pleasant to converse with.  He's a grey haired man, grey beard down to the middle of his chest, and quite tethered in appearance.  As I learned in conversation, he's only a couple of years older than myself!  Maybe I should take a good long look in the mirror! NO THANKS! :S
          Shameful that the new generation has become so possessive.  The ways of the world have a drastic impact on human existence.   We learn what we live.  What was instilled in me, I tried to instill in my children.  It's a whole new ball game out there.  Live and learn.
          Pam

Comment

Enjoy the good will and luck in finding someone willing to share their place.
            Be sure you thank him at every opportunity.
            I did at the Rockport location but his grandchildren did not share the same
            open feeling of sitting on his front porch having a beer and talking about his "Good Old Days" of shrimping.
            That guy had some incredible stories. I could have sat there for days but I had arrrowheads, fossils, shark teeth and fishing to do as well.
            BTW: It would not hurt if he has a favorite beer take him a case next time you pay him a visit.
            You won't believe how far a case of beer will take you. B)
            Bone2stone
            It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
            Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
            X